General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflhrs
Ya would have loved to order what i wanted, rather that waste my time and money throwing parts away to achieve the look and performance of my harley. be nice to order what type engine, seat, bars,wheels, chrome or no chrome parts etc.
You are entitled to your opinion I'm not taking that away from you or slamin you for your preference you can have it the way youse want, BUT to me doing all that stuff has been all the fun for me, jmho

Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

When I bought mine the sales guy says "OK now we can go see the Chrome Consultant". Sounds like the same thing with a different name to me.

They are just gonna have some sales person go over the **** you can get in the P & A catalog and help you to decide what will work best for your current bike or the new one you are about to buy.

To me half the fun of having a Harley is figuring out how to make it my own. I sure as hell don't need some "consultant" to help me do that.

I'm sure there are enough prospective buyers out there with the need to feel special that the MoCo will make some $$$ with it and there ain't nothin wrong with that. As long as they keep making money....We will have Harleys to fix up the way we like.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Factory Custom"! What a oxy/moron that is! The same parts are still available to the entire world! You're just having the factory hang them for ya. That's fine if you want to dump that kind of coin, but there is nothing custom about it, other than you've picked some parts. But then again, I have been called "stupid".

Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Lockman
"Factory Custom"! What a oxy/moron that is! The same parts are still available to the entire world! You're just having the factory hang them for ya. That's fine if you want to dump that kind of coin, but there is nothing custom about it, other than you've picked some parts. But then again, I have been called "stupid".
Way I read it in the link he gave.....It's not the factory doing it it's the dealership. I get that from the fact that they say you can do it with a new bike or the bike you have already. I could be wrong...Wouldn't be the 1st time but that's the way I read it.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Lockman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IronAss
Way I read it in the link he gave.....It's not the factory doing it it's the dealership. I get that from the fact that they say you can do it with a new bike or the bike you have already. I could be wrong...Wouldn't be the 1st time but that's the way I read it.
The Harley site calls it Factory Customization although it's done at the dealer level. Don't see anything revolutionary about it or custom for that matter. I suppose everything is custom these days.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

It'll be interesting to see what engine choices they offer. I hope they offer the new 120R as an option but i doubt it.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NewHarleyGear
I'd rather do it myself and save the money.
This coming from a guy that bought a CVO?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could save a buyer money, for example, its cheaper to have factory cruise vs installed at dealer after delivery. Also, abs brakes, some salesman say that $795 could be a deal breaker for some consumers so the dealer, ends up giving that away. It could be beneficial for buyers and dealers to get the bike exactly the way they want it as it is being put together. I like it. Its possible to get the bike as wanted and save some money at the same time if done right. Everyone wins.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley taking something from Victory......very funny indeed

Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great idea lets see how it works out. I hate having to replace perfectly good parts
for ones I like better.

Quick Reply: Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program