General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California and there new damn law on 21 and younger

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
blackmetal415
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
I think maybe you should go back and re-read the Drivers Handbook. It already has affected driving a car (btw a motorcycle is a vehicle). Try this link http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_...tm#adultpermit

How did you get to work before you decided to get a bike?

How much time do you on freeways? Especially in California for gawds sake, crap I've been riding longer than you have been alive and still run across things I haven't seen happen before.

What skills do you have to make it safe for you and your passenger riding 2up?

Do some research on your own then go back and say "Hey, that isn't right."

Now you have all these people saying CA is all f**ked up by feeding misinformation. And you wonder why they make laws like this? If you can't read and learn how to stand up for yourself when it is clearly printed out you don't deserve any of the above anyway. You left out the part where it is mandatory for 20 & under to take the "MSF Course". Sounds like someone is trying to look out for the younger riders. JMHO
Don't mind the 2up but i do mind the fact that i wasted my money going to the ****ing class but at 21 year old is capable of just going and getting the damn thing really.

so i take precaution and take course and take written test but yet need too wait.

whats the difference between a 18 and 21 year old learning how to ride.

If you are over 21, you may complete and provide the completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the motorcycle driving test.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
bikercrap
Banned

Unfortunatly, the DMV does not have a crystal ball (as some people seem to have) taht can look at each person, case by case, and asses their skills and experiance just by the way they walk and comb their hair. The assumption is, if you don't currently have a license then you are more likely than not INEXPERIANCED and put certain restrictions on you, not just for your safety, but for the safety of others. Certainly the 21 cut off makes little sense, maybe we all need to get more involved in our local politics and make sure these kinds of things don't take place.....but overall, the law makes sense.

I've got a kid gonna get his permit, possibly this Thurday. Driving in the daylight, one clear roads is hard enough, I'm glad they put restrictions on permitted drivers.

Everyone thinks they have all the skills, sadley very few do!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Originally Posted by blackmetal415
Don't mind the 2up but i do mind the fact that i wasted my money going to the ****ing class but at 21 year old is capable of just going and getting the damn thing really.

so i take precaution and take course and take written test but yet need too wait.

whats the difference between a 18 and 21 year old learning how to ride.

If you are over 21, you may complete and provide the completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the motorcycle driving test.
I feel for you dude, you did everything right and you got stuck between the timing of a few months. Mainly because some law makers in this state don't have the sense that God gave a billy goat.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
blackmetal415
Cruiser

Well this are from 2007 and imagine 2010 but hey i will drop it now and wait 4 months

-Among all riders, motorcycle operators in the 20-29 age group had the largest percentage of fatal crashes even though this age group is purchasing fewer motorcycles than previous years. Speeding is one of the major contributors to fatalities in this age group. Bottom line: Is it inexperience, youthful exuberance and the need for speed, lack of proper training or a combination of the three that is causing the discrepancy?

-Motorcycle Industry Council findings show an increase in motorcycle purchases in the 40 and above age group. In the last 10 years, there has been an increase in rider fatalities in the 40 and above age group. Bottom line: More people in that age group with motorcycles on the road create more chances of accident occurence. The Council says the gap is narrowing between the 20-29 year old rider fatalities and the above 40 group fatalities.

-The largest percentage of fatal motorcycle crashes were by operators with a blood alcohol content of .08 and more. The percentage has decreased from the previous 10 years. Bottom line: Drinking and riding is decreasing, but drinking is still a large contributor in fatal motorcycle crashes. Don't drink and ride!

-72 percent of fatalties in operator age group 40-49 involved alcohol. I can't say it enough, Don't drink and ride!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

OK. I checked the DMV site, looks like the only thing that changed is the requiring 6 months on a permit part.
The class, testing requirements state effective 2006. Guess you should have done it last year, or the year before.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
blackmetal415
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piasspj
OK. I checked the DMV site, looks like the only thing that changed is the requiring 6 months on a permit part.
The class, testing requirements state effective 2006. Guess you should have done it last year, or the year before.
yea i guess, my fault and they need to update those books because they still got 2010 on there tricky lil bastards lol

Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

reminds me of a few years back right after i got married. drinking age in fl was 18 at the time. wife turned 18 on dec 22. little after a week later, they raised the drinking age to 19. so she gets to drink for a week, then wait a year until she could drink again. now comes the good part, after she turned 19, she got to drink for a year, then 1 jan, they raised the drinking age to 21...... shafted again.

and it wasn't necessarily the drinking that was the issue. just a lot of good bands used to play at the bars in our area, but even if you are 18, if you are not legal age, you are not allowed in....

Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, things sure seemed to be fkd up now. I got my motor cycle lisc, at 14,,,( in TN) That was in 1968 0r 1969, had to wait till 16 to get car drivin lisc.??????????? WTF.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Sounds like you haven't completed the testing process.
Did you take a ridden test at the DMV or an MSF class?

In Illinois the written test will only get you a permit, you have to ride the course (or do the MSF class) to get a license. BTW the Illinois permit only allows you to ride in daylight (no passenger) under direct supervision of a licensed rider.
If your under 18 then you have to do the MSF class and ride the course at the DMV. I think they are required to do the DMV written test as well.
Same as Ohio. When you take the written test, you get a temp permit. The temp permit allows you to ride but not on highways, not at night, no passengers, and you must wear a hemet. Then when you take the driving part of the test, (which is an obsticle course in a parking lot) then you get the REAL liscense. But for the first year of your REAL liscense you must wear a helmet. The liscense actually says NOVICE RIDER for 1 year. Even if you are 50 years old and you only have the temp permit you can't ride on highways and no passengers and all that. It doesn't have an age for the temp pemit.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I started riding motorcycles at age 10. I got my car learners permit at 15 (they did not have a motorcycle liscense then). I had my bike tagged and ready to go and I could have cared less about driving a car. The restrictions were had to have a liscensed driver in the car and no driving after dark only applied to cars not bikes.

The insurance companies charged a premium until age 28 on motorcycles. I had 5 years riding experience when I started riding on the street. Other than a few minor low speed drops I have not had an accident on the street in 37 years.

I know the OP is ticked. If it was me I would stay off the interstate and spend every spare minute putting miles on my bike in areas with light traffic in daylight, solo, getting those miles under my belt. I would continue taking riding courses and reading every "how to" book I could get my hands on. It could save your life. Don't take riding a motorcycle lightly. Be serious and take this time to get good at it.

Quick Reply: California and there new damn law on 21 and younger