General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get your bike serviced by a non "Harley" Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_nova
Where I live, we have a motorcycle shop which repairs most Japanese models as well as Harley's. I checked them out recently and asked if they had a certified "Harley" tech on hand and they said they didn't.
They said they back up there work and they seem like a bunch of good guys. I took a tour of the shop and it's clean and safe.

I guess my question is would you guys take your bike to a shop where there was no "Harley" tech, but one that could work on them?

I have no problem with my local Harley shop, just that it's over an hour to get there and this place is a stones throw from work.

Thanks,
I do my own work on my bike, unless it's a warranty issue, so, yes, I would.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
tstucky
Advanced

Like everyone else says, depends on the tech and shop. Hope they'd have a manual to work from at least...

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 2003 FXDX piped, carbed, and jeted by the Stealer. It ran like crap, and got 26 mpg.

I took it to R&R cycles in Auburn Wa. They fixed it so nice. Ive been getting my fluids from them ever since. If I were to take it to a shop. Id go there. Their labor rates are half of the stealer.
Even the real biker girls there know what they are talking about.

The shop is 75 miles from my house, and I pass two stealers on the way there.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

See, I don't know of anyone who has taken their bike there so I can't base their work on actual experiences which is why I ask the question.
If I knew their work was top notch, then I wouldn't hesitate. May have to think about this some more.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_nova
Thanks guys.

I would love to do all the work myself and I do some of it. The work I need done are brakes and a new front tire. This work I don't have the proper tools nor the know how nor the guts to try it.
Most indy's charge about $60/hr for labor around here and some go higher. Get yourself a service manual and a motorcycle jack which should cost about the same as two hours of labor through your indy. Then find a place that will let you bring in your front wheel and change the tire for you. mounting and ballancing runs between $20 and $40 per tire depending on where you live and where you go.

From there find out what tools you don't already have to complete this job (should be some allen wrenches, socket set, socket wrench, phillips screw driver, C-clamp, and torque wrench) and what you don't have go pick up from Harbor Frieght while you're getting a motorcycle jack.

The rear tire on some bikes can be a pain (like my buddy's Fat Boy Lo...) but the front tire and brakes are a piece of cake to work on. Just read the directions in the manual, ask a few questions here to see if there are any tricks you need to be warry of on your bike, and go for it. These things are pretty simple to work on.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

Originally Posted by Robotech
Most indy's charge about $60/hr for labor around here and some go higher. Get yourself a service manual and a motorcycle jack which should cost about the same as two hours of labor through your indy. Then find a place that will let you bring in your front wheel and change the tire for you. mounting and ballancing runs between $20 and $40 per tire depending on where you live and where you go.

From there find out what tools you don't already have to complete this job (should be some allen wrenches, socket set, socket wrench, phillips screw driver, C-clamp, and torque wrench) and what you don't have go pick up from Harbor Frieght while you're getting a motorcycle jack.

The rear tire on some bikes can be a pain (like my buddy's Fat Boy Lo...) but the front tire and brakes are a piece of cake to work on. Just read the directions in the manual, ask a few questions here to see if there are any tricks you need to be warry of on your bike, and go for it. These things are pretty simple to work on.
I have a digital copy of the manual on the comp. here and I was just reading on how to install brake pads. Seems VERY easy. I think I can handle this.
As far as tools go, I have all the basic tools, just need a torque wrench and a C-clamp and I'm game.

Maybe what I might do is take the wheel right off, take it to the indy, have then install it and balance and then put it back on myself. That should be easy. Only a couple bolts holding it on.

Thanks Robotech

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Default i'm with pistonpuller

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
My bike is serviced by a non Harley tech all the time.....me! If you like the shop and they back up their work, I say go for it
I do my own repairs and service, unless it is eletronics, like tuning efi/map and i still don't use harley-davidson dealer shop for that. I have a non harley tec do tuning on his dyno at his home. there are many good guys that know what their really doing with many years experience . u just have to seek them out. Personally wouldn't take my dog to a harley-davidson dealer for any repair or service.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
bigalv63
Tourer

The only time I consider the dealer working on my Harleys is when there is a recall,,,,otherwise...I use an independent mechanic

Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Yea bro, im not a harley tech and ive been doing great hahahahaha as long as you can read and figure out a drawing you can fix anything
I agree , once you can learn to follow a wiring diagram everything else falls right into place

Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Ask around as to who does good work on Harley (or your choice of bikes). There are independents all over who know what they are doing, and there are "dealer techs" who have made terrible mistakes.

I can remember my Harley service manager claiming that there were no catalysts on '06 Harleys. He felt pretty sheepish when I told him to get down on his knees and look at the stamping on the right side muffler on our Ultra.

Quick Reply: Would you get your bike serviced by a non "Harley" Tech?