General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked with a few Dealers on the cost of a 10,000 mile service. What a price range!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
dealer where I purchased my scoot is asking $850 for my 20,000 mile service which is coming up in a cuppla hundred miles...
Well that is because your hemulator bearing clutch convertor pulley needs re-torquing

Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy working on my bike as much as I do riding it. If it's not something you would enjoy then I'd pay someone else to do it. Alot of the stuff may take a little while to figure out the first time but is so much easier the second. Everything is laid out pretty well in the service manual and it always helps to do a search on here to find some easier ways and wrong ways to do a job.

Oh yeah, Don't forget to rotate your tires every 10,000 miles

Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
dealer where I purchased my scoot is asking $850 for my 20,000 mile service which is coming up in a cuppla hundred miles...
WOW! glad I had them throw that in on my Road King I just picked up.

if you're hesitant about wrenching, find an independent shop - lot's cheaper.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lot of variance in price around here, too. I put the comparison of what each dealer was going to do side by side, and found there wasn't much difference. Dealer I use does everything suggested in the owner's manual and more. Cheaper than some other dealers - and the service is better than the place I used to go. Not gonna list dealership and criticize - just saying it's worth comparison-shopping.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These kind of threads always kill me, LOL. You buy a $20K-$30K or more bike and then talk about working on it with homemade jacks and fittings and buying cheap azz made in China tools from Harbor Freight. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd say that if the prices are within $50 of each other go with dealer you bought your bike from (if you liked the dealer), and start building a relationship if you're not doing your own service. Over time having a comfortable relationship can save a lot of hassle, and you will get straight dealing. And eventually a comfort level that your bike is getting the best service possible.

The relationship can translate into other areas as well such as when you get another bike, or accessories.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Big Pig
These kind of threads always kill me, LOL. You buy a $20K-$30K or more bike and then talk about working on it with homemade jacks and fittings and buying cheap azz made in China tools from Harbor Freight. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I won't argue with that!!!

My softail with accessories cost more than the average car. And with EFI and etc. I wouldn't want to work on it.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Pig
What kills me is some people think buying a 30k bike makes them a biker, haha. There was a time when I either fixed my own ride or I didn't ride it. It's not rocket science and I work too hard for a living to throw away good money.

Last edited by daltrey; 01-21-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Look on ebay and maybe you will get lucky but get you a Harley service and electrical diagnostic manual. All you probably need is the three oils, filter and 2 spark plugs. That and the two manuals will be half what you pay dealer but you need a place to do it and enjoy doing it. Also Harleys are sort of hard to work on an you really need someone to work with you the first time who KNOWS what he is doing. Its real easy to drain oil out of transmission and think its the engine.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll do whatever I can at home and for those things beyond my pay grade, I'll go see a competent mechanic and have it done. That way I save some dough but won't compromise my machine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checked with a few Dealers on the cost of a 10,000 mile service. What a price range!