General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the second day of MSF tomorrow advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Jimmy Mullins
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the second day of MSF tomorrow advice?

So today I did the first part of my MSF course. It was a blast, I had so much fun learning to ride. It was my first time ever on a bike and I have to say its more fun than I had even anticipated.
I did make some newbie mistakes and drop the bike....twice
The first time I was weaving through the cones and hit the front brake, yeah not good lol. The second time I let off the clutch, during the "friction zone". After I finally figured out how to use the friction zones and not breaking during turns I did excellent the rest of the class.
The last class of the day was quick stops and I really struggled with this. I was anticipating the stops a lot of the times, and then I have a habit of bringing my right foot down to the ground before my left foot. Quick stopping was the hardest part of the class for me, the instructor said we would get lots of practice tomorrow but I'm nervous that I won't get it right.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM
jaysbobber
Cruiser

I'm sure you will do fine. I remember how bad I was in drivers ed and now....well it depends who you ask. Just joshing, but don't expect to come out of this thing being Freddie Spencer. You will just need to do more practice in the parking lots until you feel comfortable.

Last edited by jaysbobber; 01-22-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Relax and keep practicing before long it will all be a second nature for you.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Rockymtnfishboy
Cruiser

Relax and listen to the instructors, itll come

Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Mick14
Intermediate

You will do fine. Everything will be easier tomorror. Just have fun..........go ride in a parking lot after your class to get more comfortable. Confidence will come with experience.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The figure 8s in the rectangle were that way for me...you'll be fine. I've rode for over 20 years and that rectangle gave me fits lol.

I was even more bummed to see that the MSF seemed to pass people that were obviously not ready to ride on the road. I think it had something to do with keeping their pass rate at a certain level. I have nothing at all against new riders (we were all new once), but these guys passed some folks that will probably seriously hurt themselves. They just needed more than a weekend class.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM
happycampinman
Cruiser

The second day of class will give you lots of practice, relax and have fun. Pay attention to your coach, they will help you thru the areas you are having difficulty with. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 PM
happycampinman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jwlehman
The figure 8s in the rectangle were that way for me...you'll be fine. I've rode for over 20 years and that rectangle gave me fits lol.

I was even more bummed to see that the MSF seemed to pass people that were obviously not ready to ride on the road. I think it had something to do with keeping their pass rate at a certain level. I have nothing at all against new riders (we were all new once), but these guys passed some folks that will probably seriously hurt themselves. They just needed more than a weekend class.
Does not work that way, there is no pass fail rate for MSF. Each student is passed or failed on there ability to pass or fail the written or riding exam. The course is based on adult learning, and part of that is each student progresses at there own rate. MSF basic riding course is not designed to make you road ready, it is only a basic course to teach the basics and get you a endorsement

Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 PM
blwright
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwlehman

The figure 8s gave me fits too ! come to think of it, that drill gave everyone in my class fits !

To the OP: Just remember, when you are doing the final drills, if you screw up on any of them you don't fail... it only is a deduction in points toward your final score... at least it was that way when I took the course. Also for the written portion of the class, go the the MSF website, you will find some very helpful practice tests there.

Good Luck !

Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you pass.....and you will....... be advised that you do not know how to ride yet. It takes time and further study to become even semi proficient. This is a dangerous but fun activity...Keep working on honing the skills as mistakes on the road are unforgiving.

Suggest you get David Houghs book Proficent Motorcycling. It has helped me and kept me safe. Well worth the money. The things that you are not aware of or are not anticipated are the ones that will hurt you.

R. Todd

Quick Reply: Taking the second day of MSF tomorrow advice?