General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks MSF!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 PM
blackmetal415
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup that class helps alot but dang those are some close misses i dropped my ride already back rear tire no tread and some oil at a stop but lesson learned now i check everything before i get on. only been on it for a month glad i listened to this guys a got a metric.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had been riding for over 40 years when my wife wanted to learn. I signed her up for the course and she wanted me to go with her so I signed me up as well. I learned a few things I never knew and reminded me of some things long forgotten

Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Vooney,
when its warmer we should hit Skyline. I work weekends but would certainly take a vacation day for a Saturday trip. Hit me up, I am in Leesburg.

Dave O.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
D_Train67
Novice

I'd been riding for about 25 years when I decided to take the MSF course. I thought I knew it all but realized I still had a few things to learn. I'll probably take another course here soon just to keep myself honest.

Ed

Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just started riding again and took the Rider's Edge course and don't regret it at all ... but MSF course or not, those traffic circles are dangerous in a car! Glad you're OK.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
"I slammed the brakes, my rear wheel started to skid (I had another "how sh#t" moment) and remembered to let go of the brakes to stop the skidding and reapplied the brakes and managed to stop, "

Gotta disagree with you here. If you review your manual, you will find that when incurring a rear wheel skid you should have ridden it out. It is only a front wheel skid that you release and reapply.

If you had slid sideways (which you apparently didn't), at the moment you released the rear wheel skid, you could likely have "high sided" as the rear of the bike would have instantly gone back to its single track, possibly throwing you from the bike, i.e., a "high side."
You are correct! See, I already need a refresher :-)

Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
I just started riding again and took the Rider's Edge course and don't regret it at all ... but MSF course or not, those traffic circles are dangerous in a car! Glad you're OK.
The round about I was telling about is particularly famous in DC for its numerous car accidents...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dortiz
Vooney,
when its warmer we should hit Skyline. I work weekends but would certainly take a vacation day for a Saturday trip. Hit me up, I am in Leesburg.

Dave O.
Thanks Dave, I will :-)

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by deluxeroad
Vinny, a great report and glad the skills you learned "saved" you from any harm. The MSF courses (Team Oregon, here) are classes as you noted that, IMO, every rider should take. We have taken the intermediate and advanced curriculum and it does not hurt to keep updating those and refreshing our skills.
Keep up the good work :-)

Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
HDCB62
Novice

I know this thread is over a year old but I'm gearing up for the MSF this spring it's a blessing that it's free in here Pennsylvania.

Quick Reply: Thanks MSF!