General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Riding School vs MSF School

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 PM
harleydiver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wblanchard
I paid $250 for the RE Course in New Port Richey, FL. The instructor never owned or been on a Harley bike his whole life. He was 44 with 20+ years of riding experience on BMW or Honda bikes. In fact, he volunteered to teach the course and didn't even work for any Harley dealership.
I think I had the same instructor, except I paid $200 (same as the MSF classes). Difference was Riders Edge was 2 evenings in the classroom plus 2 full days ridingon the weekend. The class spent very little time touring the dealership. I highly recommend the Riders Edge course.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the community college MSF course since I had to pay for the wife and I. 180.00 x 2.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 AM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I took Riders Edge, mostly because it fit well with my work schedule. Classes were in the evenings so I wouldnt have to take any time off. I did have to take one Saturday off for a range day, but it wasn't an issue. It is somewhat pricey, however they keep the class sizes small and do everything possible to see you succeed. Myself and a few other people had experience so we didn't require much (if any) assistance, while others had never picked up a bike before. The Blast 500's they use are good learners bikes, at the expense of vibration and touchy clutches. After a few days on them though, they're actually fun little scoots.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I believe some insurance companies offer a discount if you've taken the MSF course, or even a greater one if you are an instructor. Nor sure if they do that for the Rider's course.

Anyone know for sure?

IL is great! I took the MSF course when I was 16, which allowed me to get the M classification (unlimited cc's) on my license. First thing I did after that was go out & buy a new Honda V-65! haha! Nothing like a 16-yr-old on a 160mph bike!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
LI Guy
Novice

MSF course $350 here(LI,NY) with 5 hrs. of classroom and 10 hrs of hands on riding over 2 or 3 days

Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM
mikedero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ruf361
its the same class, the harley riders edge class walk you through the stealership on a tour. thats the only difference.
Not true at all, you spend more time on the bike also they give you more one on one work. There is no time frame, but the MSF class if you can not keep up they will drop you out. they set times for each part of the class.

I took the riders edge program last year, well worth it. Also some dealerships will refund you the amount if you buy the bike thru them.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM
mikedero
Cruiser

Also the riders edge prgram has less people in it. that is a big plus

Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
I believe some insurance companies offer a discount if you've taken the MSF course, or even a greater one if you are an instructor. Nor sure if they do that for the Rider's course.

Anyone know for sure?

IL is great! I took the MSF course when I was 16, which allowed me to get the M classification (unlimited cc's) on my license. First thing I did after that was go out & buy a new Honda V-65! haha! Nothing like a 16-yr-old on a 160mph bike!
I can't speak for every insurance company, but Farmers Insurance for sure will accept the hd course. Any company that accepts the msf class should take the hd class too since I think you get the same credentials at the end

Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Nothing riders edge or msf teaches will compare to real road experience.

Don't get me wrong, they are great programs but they are very basic. Its the easy way to get your motorcycle endorsement.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Nothing riders edge or msf teaches will compare to real road experience.

Don't get me wrong, they are great programs but they are very basic. Its the easy way to get your motorcycle endorsement.

Quick Reply: Harley Riding School vs MSF School