General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Riding School vs MSF School

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Gracynn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thank you for this write up...

Originally Posted by monstead
JUST posted this in the QOTR section yesterday, so I'll cut and paste it here. It's kinda geared towards the ladies, but it may help with your question. As a frame of reference, I teach both MSF and RidersEdge & they both have their strong points depending on the individual.

I'll say this...the reason I wanted to be a RidersEdge Instructor is because I prefer the format. It is less rushed due to the extra time built-in to both the classroom and the range and I feel this is a benefit to new rider's. Because of the extra classroom time and activities, the students usually form a team/bond and that can make a big difference on the range as they'll work together. IMO...the RE classes seem to be a bit more "fun". I have this opinion from gauging the students involvement and "enthusiasm" as a whole. Also, I think, the extra classroom time has a positive affect on the range as students have more time to get more comfortable with each other and the Instructors before they hit the range. Sorta doesn't feel so much like the first day of school if you guys KWIM. Not to mention, if you're a Harley person or wanting to become one, it's a great way to get comfortable with a Dealer and meet other people who have the same interest in H-D. That may or may not be a big deal to some people, but if it's your thing, it's a great option. Who knows, you might find someone to ride with.

The classroom part has more activities and works on hitting all the Adult-Learning Styles, which was mainly what our Instructor Training class focused on. It's extremely interesting stuff...so much so that I've gotten a few books on the subject. Then, there's the whole "white table cloth experience" that H-D corporate wants (and hopes) its participating Dealers to give the students. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's more expensive for the Dealer and quite frankly, the cost of the class in most cases doesn't come close to covering the investment...the real benefit is realized when and if the students become customer's of that Dealer. I don't fault them for that motivation for having the program either.

MSF? It's quality too. Like I said earlier, the MSF curriculum is used and followed to the letter (or should be at risk of losing their certification) by all schools/programs who carry the MSF logo. RidersEdge Instructors must first become MSF RiderCoaches. The Range Exercises and the Classroom (handbook) are exactly the same & the range must be taught exactly as prescribed. MSF is just shorter because it doesn't have all the activities RidersEdge adds. I find the MSF can sometimes feel rushed...particularly when there is a student or 2 struggling. For that reason...more students will get counseled out or will leave on their own as there often isn't time for the RiderCoach to work with them to get them where they need to be in order to move to the next exercise. This isn't an indictment of the MSF...just a reality...it happens in RidersEdge as well...just less often from my experience.

I have also seen/heard of more "drill sergeant" types teaching MSF. Perhaps because that personality type isn't drawn to the RidersEdge program...who knows! Again...just my personal observation.

Both programs have the same goal and that is to teach the basic skills of motorcycle operation and do it safely. Both programs are excellent ways to learn to ride and I do not recommend one over the other exclusively...I will though, take into consideration who I am talking to before I make a recommendation. For example, my very experienced, non-M endorsed older brother needs to take the BRC to get his endorsement. I'd send him to MSF...he'd go nuts sitting in the RE class as he's one of those who can't sit still for 20 minutes straight.

Oregon, DC and ID do not use the MSF curriculum, but that doesn't mean they put out shabby riders.

Each state has it's own "rules" for the programs when it comes to cost/licensing, etc. I know about TX, but that's about it. Costs vary depending on the market rate/competition and whether or not it's subsidized by the state (IL for one)...which really means the taxpayers are paying the costs.

This is probably too much info - maybe some of the info can help a few of you who were/are considering taking a class.
Hi! I just want to THANK YOU for your detailed and thorough explanation. It helped me to FINALLY DECIDE which class I will be taking...and that's the HD Riders Edge just because I'm a full on "newbie!" For me, I feel the HD RE class will benefit me more and my preference in learning to not feel rushed therefore causing stress IMO is enough reason for me to spend the extra $$$.

Now, I just hope that they won't have a problem if I don't buy a Harley right away after taking the course but once I have many miles under my belt and I feel I am ready, I have no doubts that I will upgrade to an HD.