Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Is Sturgis Worth Going To? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/608693-is-sturgis-worth-going-to.html)

TOK DADDY 02-10-2011 10:09 PM

Is Sturgis Worth Going To?

Hey Guys,

Planning on attending my first Sturgis rally this year. I've got a buddy who says it's not worth it. He claims it is way to crowded, takes forever to get anywhere and is generally just overhyped. I personally disagree with him and I think everybody should go at least once. Sound off and let me know what you think...it should be a great ride from Arizona.

ltmdl90 02-10-2011 10:36 PM

I went for the first time last year and loved it. Yes loads of people. I set it up that we stayed out of sturgis. It worked perfect. When we were going in to sturgis everyone was leaving to go out in the black hills, etc and when we were leaving everyone was trying to get into sturgis. I went 9 days and only went into town 2 days. We just went mostly for riding.

Mixter 02-10-2011 10:40 PM

We rode from bc to sturgis. Loved every minute of it and would go again for sure

txfxstrider 02-10-2011 10:44 PM

So far, several million riders think it is worth it.

Nothing wrong with the crowds, they're all bikers. And 99% are Harley riders. You only live once (so they say). Go and enjoy it. It's not for everyone but it IS for bikers. :D

Stone1 02-10-2011 10:44 PM

Sturgis is great. The wife and I have been to the rally for many years and really enjoy it. Sturgis is always busy but the more you go, the more places you find to hang out at. Keep in mind that every town in the Black Hills is alive with bikers who are enjoying a vacation. We don't spend a whole lot of time in Sturgis "proper" but enjoy being in the "hills" while the rally is going on. Be sure to hit the small towns while there.

mkguitar 02-10-2011 10:46 PM

you have to go once.

crowded and a pain in the a$$ but lots to see and do in town

the riding in the area is fantastic, but way too crowded when the rally is on.

I rode up, 1st night in Cortez Co.
then over to Pagosa Springs and up thru Denver to Cheyenne.
Then on to Sturgis.

So 3 days, none of them tough.

Mike

2black1s 02-10-2011 10:46 PM

If you've never been there before it is absolutely worth going! It's a must see to believe kind of event.

I've been there four times in the past seven years. I no longer feel the need to go but if some friends planned a trip they wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard to get me in.

The bike traffic through town will be the worst you've ever seen... Try to plan your trips in and out of town at odd hours and that may save you a little grief. Or stay outside of town - but then you'll miss a good part of the fun.

I've stayed at Glencoe and the Buffalo Chip. They were both cool in their own way but I kinda prefer Glencoe... More naked chicks... And shade.

soulpony 02-10-2011 10:47 PM

Did my first trip for the 75th, loved it, lots of crazy people, (though some shouldn't be allowed to ride bikes), beautiful country, lots to see and do, will be going back.

Harleyboyddk 02-10-2011 11:17 PM

Plan on a Sturgis trip when the rally is not going on. Will miss the naked women tho, but not the crowds and traffic.

leohd 02-10-2011 11:44 PM

ya should do it at lest once...be careful alot of cops around there nowadays