General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley top selling brand in U.S aged 18-34 year old buyers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I guess that explains the lack of chrome you see on new bikes.

~Joe

Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

My '07 Hayabusa -- love the bike -- cost almost 12 out the door. Figure I could get $7500 tops. My '03 FXST probably cost -- what -- $16.5? out the door new. I paid 10 large used last summer, including a two-year warranty and it is blinged out.

Both bikes are perfect for what they do, but my Harley -- one in a list I've had over the years -- is still my go-to bike. And I am 101 percent pro-union will always be. It's a blue-collar thang...

Tq

Last edited by bjewell; 10-16-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously all the critics who have said Harley only appeals to the graying population and is running out of customers are wrong.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM
sandsucker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point of order-It's not the Y Generation it's the ME Generation.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

I wonder if the power pack availible on touring bikes (103) could be offered on VRSC?

There is a company offering bigger bore for em and you can turbo them and probably supercharge 'em.

I dunno if that would kick a Hyabusa but it would kick butt.

I'm 35. I've sat on sportbikes and I don't find them comfortable. I much prefer to set the cruise, turn up the stereo, and cruise...

H

Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
They won't - it's kind of hard to jump into a thread citing statistics about Harley being the biggest seller in the country to the youngest buyer age group and claim that Harley doesn't appeal to you riders.

I noticed you posted the stats on the "HD needs younger riders thread" hmmm, another box of retarded about to happen here perhaps?

I dont understand the argument here (On the 3rd thread in as many days, but I dont get HOG magazine), almost none of us younger guys chimed in that Harley didnt appeal to us. We almost all agreed that HD has done a GREAT job of changing their marketing and gearing towards younger riders. I guess I'm starting to get confused as to the point of these threads. Hard to tell which point people are arguing for/against/

Last edited by bparsel; 02-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandsucker
Point of order-It's not the Y Generation it's the ME Generation.
+1 on the me generation. It seems to me that a lot of the younger generation expect everything handed to them.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bparsel
I noticed you posted the stats on the "HD needs younger riders thread" hmmm, another box of retarded about to happen here perhaps?

I dont understand the argument here (On the 3rd thread in as many days, but I dont get HOG magazine), almost none of us younger guys chimed in that Harley didnt appeal to us. We almost all agreed that HD has done a GREAT job of changing their marketing and gearing towards younger riders. I guess I'm starting to get confused as to the point of these threads. Hard to tell which point people are arguing for/against/
Bparsel, count yourself lucky if you haven't been exposed to the point of annoyance to the "Harley doesn't appeal to younger riders" nonsense. It's especially true on the general-audience motorcycle news websites, where little kids with zero business sense are always crying about the fact that they don't offer sportbikes or focus exclusively on horsepower stats.

The truly "interesting" instances of such complaints were the ones who complained even while Harley still owned Buell and MV Agusta!

We even have a few such horsepower-above-all-else complainers on this forum. Check out the Sportster forum sometimes; you'll occasionally find posters suggesting that Harley's doing it all wrong because they don't use Buell engines or Rotax engines or the Sportster isn't enough like a sportbike in other ways.

Yes, they say those things in the forum devoted to Harley's best-selling models in their longest-running model lineup! The irony of that completely escapes them.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey420
+1 on the me generation. It seems to me that a lot of the younger generation expect everything handed to them.
I'm guessing generations have been saying that for thousands of years. LOL

Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I'm guessing generations have been saying that for thousands of years. LOL

Yup. A couple of thousand yrs ago it was a capital offense to street race chariots in the city streets of Rome. Young boneheads have been at it since the cave days. They should have been driving a nice 4 wheel touring wagon with a high torque donkey instead of them sporty things.

Last edited by hornhonker; 02-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley top selling brand in U.S aged 18-34 year old buyers