General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley top selling brand in U.S aged 18-34 year old buyers

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Bparsel, count yourself lucky if you haven't been exposed to the point of annoyance to the "Harley doesn't appeal to younger riders" nonsense. It's especially true on the general-audience motorcycle news websites, where little kids with zero business sense are always crying about the fact that they don't offer sportbikes or focus exclusively on horsepower stats.

Check out the Sportster forum sometimes; you'll occasionally find posters suggesting that Harley's doing it all wrong because they don't use Buell engines or Rotax engines or the Sportster isn't enough like a sportbike in other ways.

So is it wrong to say that a Buell powered "48" straight from the factory would give me even more wood than the normal "48"

Anyways, most of my reading besides these forums is from "Cycle Source" or "The Horse" - of which neither really talks about the MOCO. I already said it on the other thread but HD needed to change a couple things for younger buyers.

1. Marketing and Image: see the new ads..... no chaps, no leather Fonzi jackets etc. People actually laughing instead of just practicing their "I could kill you" looks.

2. Bike Selections: see the Dark Customs lineup, the Nightster, the 48 etc.

HD has made some good moves and younger riders are obviously responding - per the statistics everyone likes to mention

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I'll never be 18-34 again, I wanted to make sure and get the top selling brand for age 65 and older.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

Originally Posted by sandsucker
Point of order-It's not the Y Generation it's the ME Generation.
You're thinking of the 80s. Now that was the "me" generation.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

Originally Posted by Booey420
+1 on the me generation. It seems to me that a lot of the younger generation expect everything handed to them.
I wonder who raised them, and who taught their parents how to parent.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I'm guessing generations have been saying that for thousands of years. LOL
lol

Every generation says that subsequent generations are worse. I guess there was no war 100 years ago, then. And everyone was a complete saint 300 years ago. lol

Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hornhonker
Yup. A couple of thousand yrs ago it was a capital offense to street race chariots in the city streets of Rome. Young boneheads have been at it since the cave days. They should have been driving a nice 4 wheel touring wagon with a high torque donkey instead of them sporty things.
Yupe..no s#it Shylock!!!

There's an old saying, Before you can become old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid (ergo the necessity of stupid fast donercycles). If Hayley is the steed of choice, that may not be as true as once thought. I'd really hate to see Harley even attempt anything more sporty than the VRSC. Not their thing. There's plenty of rice burners as it is. I don't agree they need to change to target a demographic. All they need do is keep on keeping on. I talked to a 23 yo that dumped his crotch rocket attempting a high speed wheelie. What for or why evades me at the moment, but he stated he'd never ride a bike again. I told him to consider getting a cruiser, chill out a bit and try enjoying the ride. He still said nope......... Yeah... Right!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in the other camp.

No more bending over backwards for "the younger set".

Harley....keep doing what you have been doing.

Oh and chrome.....is a good thing.

~Joe