General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good motorcycle shipping company?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good motorcycle shipping company?

So I need to get my bike up from Georgia to Washington state and since I'm not a dealership the company I was going to use won't transport for me, and eagle one express doesn't have trucks running up this way anymore. Any recommendations for a company with insurance that won't trash my bike in the process?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM
itellya
Advanced

Just a thought....what if y0ou offered to pay someone to drive it up??? I am sure some of us on here would consider that. The bonus of it all is that you get it to our destination, the person who rides it get a bit of a vacation and it wont be wrecked. It may take guts but it may be worth it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by itellya
Just a thought....what if y0ou offered to pay someone to drive it up??? I am sure some of us on here would consider that. The bonus of it all is that you get it to our destination, the person who rides it get a bit of a vacation and it wont be wrecked. It may take guts but it may be worth it.
That would be gutsy, but my insurance only covers me and it's almost a 3,000 mile trip. So I'm not sure if that would work or not.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Bump for myself.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
itellya
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Guardian
That would be gutsy, but my insurance only covers me and it's almost a 3,000 mile trip. So I'm not sure if that would work or not.
3000 miles is nothing and I do understand that your insurance does not cover anyone else...however I am sure there is a cost....and fator that all in when you find out how much it will cost you to ship it. If it were me riding it for you....you pay gas, meals, motel and I am sure we could negotiate a time line to have it up there for you....just my thoughts

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
jackolo
Cruiser

I'm having AA Motorcycle Transport move mine at the moment. I've also seen some good reviews for JC Motors.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do NOT go with ID Transport.
After that terrible ordeal I used Keyboard
http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/
I was very pleased with their staff and professional results!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

About a year ago, I used Federal Companies (www.funtransport.com) to ship my bike from Tacoma WA to Yorktown VA ... I paid Destination Harley Davidson in Tacoma $109.30 to 'prep' for shipment (basically, to strap it to a pallet and cover it with a cardboard box) ... and stage it for pick up ....

Federal picked it up and delivered it to Hampton Roads Harley Davidson in Yorktown ... about 10 min from my work ... one of my counterparts dropped me off on our lunch hour ....

Transportation charge for 2,824 mi was $554 + $101 fuel surcharge + $25 Remote Dest Fee + $20 Handling Fee for a total of $700 ... with the price of fuel a little higher this year the surcharge might have gone up ....

I was reimbursed a little over $1,000 (as I recall) by the Navy, so worked out well for me ....

I spoke with Hampton Roads HD first and asked if they were okay with it ... no charge, they just received it in their yard and took the pallet and packing mat'l off my hands ....

If you want Destination HD in Tacoma to receive your bike for you, Ed Wallace Jr is the owner ... a pretty good guy ....

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 03-02-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked for this company for awhile, and they were very consciencious about shipping bikes. We shipped some for OCC when they couldn't personally make it to a show. Specialized pallets made specifically for bikes, they all get covered, and strapped. I would reccomend them to anyone. http://www.spectransinc.com/spectran.html

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Federal and would use them again.

Quick Reply: A good motorcycle shipping company?