General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of retiring from the AF and going to MMI for Harley's

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
blkdimon8
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rip DEATH
Well guys, I am one of those people that think you're never too old to pursue your own happiness. I am seriously thinking about going to MMI and taking the Early and Late model Harley course path. The post 911 GI bill is sitting there to be used and I'll atleast have a little $$$ in my pocket for bills and housing. All this even at the ripe old age of 43. Shoot though...I'll loving going to class and work for sure.

Anyone on here attend MMI and work for Harley? Just wondering why grads can expect to get paid, etc... not that I'll be in my next career for the money. I am doing it for the love and passion of working on American motorcycles.
I don't think you necessarily have to use your GI Bill, check with your education counselor. I think MMI qualifies as a Vocational/Technical school and may fall under a different funding code. You may be able to attend before you get out, in the Army its called the ACAP program don't know if the Air Force has the same thing. If you have disabilty which if you have reached retirement age you probably have, you may be able to get Uncle Sugar to foot the bill. Had couple friends do this with auto body work and paint and didn't cost them a thing courtesy of 20 plus years of service. Don't hurt to check, congratulations on your pending retirement and good luck on your next career.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Persue your dream!

Originally Posted by Rip DEATH
Well guys, I am one of those people that think you're never too old to pursue your own happiness. I am seriously thinking about going to MMI and taking the Early and Late model Harley course path. The post 911 GI bill is sitting there to be used and I'll atleast have a little $$$ in my pocket for bills and housing. All this even at the ripe old age of 43. Shoot though...I'll loving going to class and work for sure.

Anyone on here attend MMI and work for Harley? Just wondering why grads can expect to get paid, etc... not that I'll be in my next career for the money. I am doing it for the love and passion of working on American motorcycles.
I've been retired a couple years and I'm dreaming about becoming the captain of my very own deep sea submarine! I don't think there's any grant money out there for me and it would probably be tough to finance a submarine but it sure would be fun to swim with the fishes!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 AM
SOFME
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hommes
I've been retired a couple years and I'm dreaming about becoming the captain of my very own deep sea submarine! I don't think there's any grant money out there for me and it would probably be tough to finance a submarine but it sure would be fun to swim with the fishes!

On a humorous note: I bet the cartels would pony up $$ for a sub captain, down side lose a shipment, lose your head. They seem to have more of a navy than many countries nowadays LOL

I agree with using your Post 9/11 GI Bill sooner than later, Obama has already changed the pay out so I end up losing $$ in between semesters.
Remember GI Bill pays out by the month not $$ amount, so take as many credits as possible each semester. You get 36 month of benefits, take one class per semester or 5/6 you still use up 4 months of benefits. I take 14-16 each semester and all those military credits you earned = a bunch of electives. with the way under graduates degree are set up NONE of my management classes were accepted at 2 community and 3 Universities. (Exception Basic =3 hours towards P.E.)

Retired in 07 after 27 years in the AF, Full time student now while staying home with my amazing 9 month old.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of retiring from the AF and going to MMI for Harley's-dscn6494.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I guess you do understand youll be taking a huge pay cut. But by inquiring, youll know what you will make, what you need to live, etc. Good luck with whatever the decision you make. Thanks for your service.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

I'm not sure teh Monty/911 GI bill will cover schools like MMI, UTI, Wyotec, etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Look at it this way. Even if the pay is $10 to $15 per hour you will be doing what you like to do. The most important thing in life is to have a job that you enjoy doing. Just going for the dollars is not always the best way to go.

You will have your retirement pay to augment your income. In time if you like the work and become very skilled at it, you will reap the benefits.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM
09tail'
Novice

The Post 9-11 GI bill will pay for MMI. I'm am starting in August. I've read several threads about the pros and cons of going this route for school or even wrenching on Harley's period. If I took all the negative stuff to heart that I've seen on here, I'd go drink a bottle of Jack and eat a shotgun. I'm 34, Active Army for ten years, got out in 08, and have been a nomad ever since. I've always wanted to wrench on Harleys and I'm going to do that no matter what. I'm hoping being a little older, having a strong mechanical and electronics background will give me a little "leg up" and not have to spend 5-8 years wrenching before I start making decent money. I know I won't get rich from it, but actually enjoying the job and not being connected to the government via military or gov contractor is all I care about at this point.

If you love what you do, you'll make money at it.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM
09tail'
Novice

Correction: I am starting in August...damn fat fingers and crossed eyes!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Hey why not pursue happiness while you can? Retired in 09 my GI is still on the shelve with the clock ticking away, good luck and if you go make sure you finish.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check wyotech in Florida you will learn more than just Harley.

Quick Reply: Thinking of retiring from the AF and going to MMI for Harley's