General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of retiring from the AF and going to MMI for Harley's

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Reb DEATH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of retiring from the AF and going to MMI for Harley's

Well guys, I am one of those people that think you're never too old to pursue your own happiness. I am seriously thinking about going to MMI and taking the Early and Late model Harley course path. The post 911 GI bill is sitting there to be used and I'll atleast have a little $$$ in my pocket for bills and housing. All this even at the ripe old age of 43. Shoot though...I'll loving going to class and work for sure.

Anyone on here attend MMI and work for Harley? Just wondering why grads can expect to get paid, etc... not that I'll be in my next career for the money. I am doing it for the love and passion of working on American motorcycles.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I would check with MoCo and a couple of local dealers to see what they say about private schools like MMI. Congrats on making it to retirement!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Ockam
Tourer

You should do a search on this topic.

Honestly there really is no money in being a motorcycle tech in the short run.The best techs out there make around $15 an hour (at least as what I have seen posted on here before), and thats with 10 years or so experience.

Most starting techs have to buy all their own tools, then get an entry level job, most likely behind the parts counter, and after a few years of "helping out" will get the opportunity to turn a wrench.

The best bet would be to work on bike's in your spare time and do it as a pursuit you love.

Go to school for something that will earn you the money to support your passion.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a bunch of threads on this with lots of info if you do a search.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Depending on the area you live, you can make a little money at it and you do not necessarily start at the parts counter. The flip side of that coin is also true. For example, if you live in Florida, expect to make very little and you probably will be washing bikes, changing oil and stuff like that. I have a relative that went to MMI and had SEVERAL offers right out of school from dealers in Florida, but home in Ohio was calling. It took about a week to get a job at a dealer doing oil changes, installing whatever goodies customers purchased, changing brake pads, and things like that. One year and one dealer later, it was on to installing cams, rebuilding trannys, big bore kits, and whatever the next job on the list was. The starting pay at shop one was 10.50 with a dollar raise after 6 months. A move to a dealer closer to home and the pay is now 14.50. The Florida jobs were offering about 8 bucks per. At least 2 of the dealers near me won't even consider hiring you to turn a wrench unless you have completed the MMI training. Some do, and some don't. Check in your area and don't depend on opinions from those not actually in the business and not living in your area. Before my relative went to school, we visited about 5 or 6 dealers and they were very candid and open about the prospects after getting done. They were very frank about pay and all that. It may be a different story where you live.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I went to MMI when I was 34 and there were a couple guys in my class that were in their late 40's and one that was in his late 50's. That was over 20 years ago. I worked in the industry for about 4 years after I finished. I took the early Model and would recommend it, especially now that so many shops don't want to work on anything older than a TC.

As far as the guy that said check with the MOCO about private schools...........When I attended MMI it was a Harley program that was backed by Harley-Davidson and every couple of weeks bike and parts from Harley would be delivered in trailers from the MOCO for us to work and learn on. We were also able to get our PHD rating while in the school.

I have no idea what the environment is like in the business today but I have no regrets about going there and if Uncle Sam is going to foot the bill for you I say go for it.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I almost went that route last year. I would have too if I hadn't been able to give my GI bill to my son for college this fall. Good trade I think.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

IronAss is correct that MMI is Harley affiliated. I'll give a couple more points. Yes, shops want you to have your own tools. They provide most specialized tools, but the basic wrenches, sockets, etc. are up to you. You get in a field like that and you'll be buying tools forever. When you graduate, you get what is basically a gift card for I THINK about $2000 to buy tools from MATCO, or some place like that. The tool guy comes in and you pick out what you want. Then they ship whatever you picked out to your home. Another tidbit. There were 33 people that started when the relative of mine started and of those, 12 graduated on time. They have a lot of drop outs, failures, and people that fail a particular section and have to take it over and are then behind as far as on time graduation goes. They will assist you in finding housing and a job if you need one to survive while your in school, but the jobs are basically minimum wage part time stuff. They will also help set you up with a roommate if you want someone to split rent with. I don't know about anything but Orlando. It's a pretty big place. Much bigger than I imagined it would be. It is multiple buildings and all that and is right next to the MMI boat and their foreign bike place. It's mostly hands on, but there is book work and you take written quizzes, and tests as well as the proficiency tests. If you go, good luck.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 PM
bamahemi
Cruiser

Congrats on making it to retirement. The post 911 GI bill entitlement is awesome. Here's a heads up--try and use it sooner rather than later as there are no guarantees that it will always be there...

Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you might as well go change oil at oil can harry`s , go back to a reg college and get a education that will pay for your service and thax for your service

Quick Reply: Thinking of retiring from the AF and going to MMI for Harley's