General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do they do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why do they do this?

They admire your Harley as much as you, say they've always wanted one, listen intently and soak up all the knowledge you can feed them about models, etc.,then this happens: You run into them and they tell you they bought a bike. You're all ears and the next thing you hear is Honda, Yamaha, etc. with emphasis on their bigger motor size and how much they paid for it. "How many cc is your Harley" they will ask and " For $X,XXX I couldn't pass it up" and " I would've paid twice that for a comparable Harley". There have been several acquaintenances of mine, all with money, who have done this. Is it as simple as them viewing these bikes as comparable (even better) than the HD? I'm happy for them in the sense that they can now enjoy riding just as we all do, but the bottom line is I always feel like they missed something. Does anyone know what am trying to say? And I always get the impression that they feel like they got "more bang for their buck". I want to say, but never do, "but it's a Honda, etc." I'm certain they wouldn't get that.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Don't care why they do it and niether should you. To each thier own.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is they're still not sure if they'll stick with riding so they go the cheaper route in case it's not for them.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM
npbaker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. Plain and simple. No offense, but I didn't understand, myself until 4 years ago when I first rode my Wide Glide. They just haven't experienced it themselves.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM
xk207
Cruiser

I think the one that gives the biggest bang for the buck is the one that puts the biggest smile on your face and keeps it there the longest.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,420 Likes on 4,724 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
Don't care why they do it and niether should you. To each thier own.

Last edited by SeniorChief56; 03-27-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Could be a lot of reasons...but why does it matter? All that should matter is they found a bike and rode it home with a smile. Regardless of what make/model.

Perhaps they talked to other brand bike owners as much as you...soaking up knowledge of all brands and types
They're riding a bike and putting smiles on their face..that's what counts.
Perhaps they're on a fixed budget...and a new Harley in that class was too much, and they only want to buy new..not used...so another brand allowed them to take home a new bike..and put a smile on their face.
They're riding a bike and putting smiles on their face...that's what counts.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 AM
MrMax
Cruiser

Ive got a buddy that loves Redheads, and another that likes Blonde's.
I prefer Brunette's myself, seems I get the most bang for the buck
YMMV

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know , the REAL bottom line here is that we should be glad there are lots of people who think the way they do . If everyone owned a Harley then it wouldn't feel as special to own one as it does now . Actually ALOT of that is already lost . I remember when owning a Harley meant a long wait if you ordered it new and a long search if you where looking for a used one . Now , they pump them out like Honda and Kawasaki does and will finance anyone regardless of income or credit and every want a be dick head is riding around on a brand new one . The mystique that Harley once had is all but gone today and I find that sad . I get the feeling , the connection of owning a Harley and I'll never ride anything else now that I have a Harley though .

Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

A month (or a year) from now, ask them if they make special trips to the garage for no other reason than to just stand there, staring at their bike.

Quick Reply: Why do they do this?