General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 sportster 1200...good first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 PM
bizrider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 sportster 1200...good first?

Hey everyone, I have been riding for a while now, and I am looking to get my first Harley. Ive come across a 97 sportster 1200; is this a good bike, or is this year notorious for problems? anything I should know specifically when looking for a Harley

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Yes, its an excellent first motorcycle. The 91-03 solid mount Sportsters are very nice, easy to ride and dependable motorcycles. The only caveat is you better get it cheap. The new rubber mount bikes have murdered the resale on the '03 and older bikes. If some guy is asking five or six grand for the thing, don't waste your money. There are bundles of used Sportys cheap. Don't get hung up on any one bike being sold buy some guy who thinks his is worth a pile of cash because he bolted a bunch of chrome extras on it 15 years ago. Shop around and check out more than one.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all have our opinions but I would pass on that bike. It will beat you to death, poor for any distance and no range to speak of. Now if yoiu just want to have short around town trips.. go for it.

R. Todd

Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

If you buy it, you most likely won't keep it. But you will never forget it !!!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Cool 80 sporty

Originally Posted by Kumite
We all have our opinions but I would pass on that bike. It will beat you to death, poor for any distance and no range to speak of. Now if yoiu just want to have short around town trips.. go for it.

R. Todd
Bought my first bike in 1980, a sportster, in southern Indiana. Broke her in, packed her up and rode to Seattle. Put over 55000 miles on that bike. Rode to Yellowstone and numerous long rides. Guess people forgot to tell me it wasnt any good for long rides...would not have listened anyway. It will be a great bike if you can get it at a good price and it has been well maintained. Someones always gonna try to tell you what and how to ride. Ride WHAT you want to ride WHEN you want to ride and HOW you want to ride and you will have many great years in the wind...

Attached Thumbnails 97 sportster 1200...good first?-us-map.jpg   97 sportster 1200...good first?-biketrip2010-009.jpg   97 sportster 1200...good first?-biketrip2010-005.jpg   97 sportster 1200...good first?-biketrip2010-033.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
geneinnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kumite

R. Todd
I spent an entire day on my buddys 1200, 1997 model. It had the adjustable suspension.

I actually ended up at the chiropractor the ride was so horrid. I bought an 883 in 1997 and I loved it once I got a good seat.

Seems like only 10 hp difference in the engines?
Not sure what the idea was on that suspension.

If he would have given me that bike I could not have used it.

You asked.........

Good luck on your search

Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBillHarley
Bought my first bike in 1980, a sportster, in southern Indiana. Broke her in, packed her up and rode to Seattle. Put over 55000 miles on that bike. Rode to Yellowstone and numerous long rides. Guess people forgot to tell me it wasnt any good for long rides...would not have listened anyway. It will be a great bike if you can get it at a good price and it has been well maintained. Someones always gonna try to tell you what and how to ride. Ride WHAT you want to ride WHEN you want to ride and HOW you want to ride and you will have many great years in the wind...
Agree With you,I Put 75,000 miles on a 91 1200, many Fla. to sturgis runs It was not a real rough riding bike. You will have to stop for gas every 100 miles or so anyway, (small tank). Granted not as smooth as my 08 Electra Glide. But I was in my late 40s and it was a great touring bike. Just a little cramped for luggage space. For a younger guy or gal it would be a great low maintance ride.

Last edited by honestbob; 03-25-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 PM
TheFrogCrusher
Intermediate

I own a 96 XL1200C and it's a very fun bike. Mine vibrated badly in the handlebars so I put Iso-grips on it and was much happier. Highway speeds will shake the fillings out of your teeth and make your feet numb on long trips but below 60 it smooths out nice. It's great in curves and is manageable when you are practicing slow speed parking lot type stuff. About 100 mi between fill-ups and on long ride days I always like to take a break then anyway.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

I still have my 91 1200, great low maintenance bike ...(bought it new)
get a good seat , prefer higher bars than stock ..ride ,ride ride.
ergonomic gas tank ..It runs out of gas just before it erases your butt..

Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
tdd77
Advanced

A friend of mine bought his 97 1200 about five year's ago for $3500 with about 3000 miles on it. Since he has had it he's put over 30,000 miles on with very few problem's (normal wear and tear).
When I had my 07 nightster I remember we swapped for a while and his rode a hell of a lot better,probably cause the nightster is lowered from the factory.
I have been on many 300+ mile a day ride's with him and he never whined.
All I can say is if you get one and plan on upgrading in the future don't dump a bunch of money into it, cause I wish I would'nt have done it to my nightster before I traded it in for the road king.
Hope this help's good luck!

Quick Reply: 97 sportster 1200...good first?