General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with burley slammer shocks, i have a question for you....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Eric The Welder
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with burley slammer shocks, i have a question for you....

so i ordered the slammer shocks for my 2002 sportster, i have been running solid struts and my *** cant take it anymore.

so i ordered the 2002 sporty shocks.

they came in today, got ready to install em and they acciidentally sent me the dyna shocks. now i read lots of sporty guys go with dyna shocks, and most have good reviews.

i put them on, they fit perfect. but when i sit on the bike, or even hop up and down on the seat it dont seem like they budge a bit. i was expecting the bike to drop a little when i sit on it, but nothing.. no different than the struts.

so i took it for a ride over some of the worst areas that usually hurt my butt with the struts. and it does seem better, not a soft ride at all, still very stiff, but without that SLAMMING into my nuts and ***! lol

so you guys with the sportster slammers, do they sink at all when you sit on the bike? mayne the slammers for the dyna are a ton stiffer than the sporty ones and i should send them back? they do look cool since they are a little fatter than the sporty versions.

i basically want to know how much they sag when you sit down on the bike..

thanks all

Old 08-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric The Welder
so i ordered the slammer shocks for my 2002 sportster, i have been running solid struts and my *** cant take it anymore.

so i ordered the 2002 sporty shocks.

they came in today, got ready to install em and they acciidentally sent me the dyna shocks. now i read lots of sporty guys go with dyna shocks, and most have good reviews.

i put them on, they fit perfect. but when i sit on the bike, or even hop up and down on the seat it dont seem like they budge a bit. i was expecting the bike to drop a little when i sit on it, but nothing.. no different than the struts.

so i took it for a ride over some of the worst areas that usually hurt my butt with the struts. and it does seem better, not a soft ride at all, still very stiff, but without that SLAMMING into my nuts and ***! lol

so you guys with the sportster slammers, do they sink at all when you sit on the bike? mayne the slammers for the dyna are a ton stiffer than the sporty ones and i should send them back? they do look cool since they are a little fatter than the sporty versions.

i basically want to know how much they sag when you sit down on the bike..

thanks all
Can't you just adjust the preload on the shocks to get the proper sag? Or do your shocks even have a preload adjuster?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:44 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only a 10.5" shock ... not much travel to begin with. HD suggests a minimum of 11.0" to avoid bottoming out and ruining the wires under the fender. You cannot really expect too much of a comfortable ride with such a short shock.

Last edited by SpoilSport; 08-06-2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: sentence structure
Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Eric The Welder
Banned

I'm not looking for comfort. I'm just wondering if they should move any when I sit on the bike. The preload is at the softest setting already. If that exists. Lol

Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 AM
spraynbuckshot
Intermediate

I have the slammer kit. Give it a little time because they do "break-in" a bit. I weigh 200lbs and they give a little now. The rear tire has never rubbed the fender and I hit a monsterous hole. It was jarring but I never once thought about reinstalling taller shocks. Mine are set at the softest setting as well. I think the slammer kit is the best thing I have done for my bike thus far.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Eric The Welder
Banned

OK. So when you first got em, they didn't budge either when yoy plopped down on the bike? I'm 200lb to and I can't getting them to budge at all. But riding over big bumps I can feel they are better than the solid struts were.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM
spraynbuckshot
Intermediate

They moved very little when brand new. There isn't a whole lot of travel with these short shocks. Now that I have a few thousand miles on them, they do compress 1/4 -3/4 of an inch when I sit on the bike. I would think that the spring rates would be different since the dyna models are roughly 75-100 lbs heavier than sportsters. That 100 lbs might make a world of difference.