General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Reservoir

Old 04-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Redmondp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Reservoir

It's been a week since my last ride and went to the garage yesterday and found this. Phillips head screws were tight. Could this be a defect of some kind. 2007 RKC. In the meantime, what ways can I clean this mess up and continue to ride until fixed. I want to keep it from spreading more. Brake fluid is nasty.

[img][img]
[img][img]

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

New gasket before it goes anywhere I'd guess

Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The screws were over tightened is why it leaked.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

My 07 RK looks a little better but not much..

Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

My 2010 Street Glide leaked but it was hardly visable. It would just get damp around the gasket but I discovered when I road, little droplets would get blown back in areas on my sheet metal etc. I tried a new gasket and torqued the cover properly to no avail. So since it was under warranty I took it back to the dealer 2 hours away who said this has been a common problem, a warped reservoir cover. They told me it was a good thing that I am **** and wash my bike often because they have seen some not so pretty small areas of speckled paint damage from the blown back DOT 4. Harley does not admit this is a problem however, saying it is rare and is caused from improperly tightening the cover screws ? Probably afraid of the cost of warrantying a ton of sheet metal and chrome parts? My dealer covered mine and took a new chrome cover off of the wall and installed it with a new gasket. All is now well. I wanted to stay with the stock black, but they recommended against it. They just smiled and said take this nice more expensive chrome one. They appeared to know something that I didn't.

An additional note.....check that back reservoir as well!

Last edited by Rickr01; 04-08-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kowan
The screws were over tightened is why it leaked.
thats the #1 reason this seal leaks!

i went to replace my seal as it was starting to seep, all they had was an update kit for my dyna. included new seal and cap, must have been a design flaw in the cap...

Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Redmondp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what's the best way to clean this up? cleaners I mean. as for hd not admitting to the problem, what else is new. just another reason to convince me america quality is going in the toilet. i guess a chrome cover and a little touch up paint is the answer.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

My '06 Road Glide did the samething.Bought a new seal and never did anything to fix the paint.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Redmondp
so what's the best way to clean this up? cleaners I mean. as for hd not admitting to the problem, what else is new. just another reason to convince me america quality is going in the toilet. i guess a chrome cover and a little touch up paint is the answer.
Touch it up and ride it and replace the entire reservoir when you can. You will never be able to touch that up and have it look good. If your into chrome, now might be a good time to convert. There is also a chrome cover made that goes over the entire reservoir if you want to just cover up the whole mess. Talk to the dealer about a warranty repair if its still under warranty but be prepared to hear: "You over tightened it so its your cost!"

Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My seal leaked...replace under warranty. Use some blue loctite on the screws and do not overtighten.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Reservoir