General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I Ride a Motorcycle. Kind of a rant, proceed with caution

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 AM
ActionPaxton
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I Ride a Motorcycle. Kind of a rant, proceed with caution

I'm preaching to the choir here so if you don't have the patience for it I can understand. I'm speaking with my wife today (who doesn't much care for me riding even though I've been riding for years before I met her) and tell her I'm going to buy a new Harley (either a fat bob, or street bob, or a crossbones if my bank account would stop having seizures every time I think about it) and she flips out on me telling me I don't have my priorities straight etc. I make plenty of money for a bike(s), bills, family, etc. My two wheels aren't a machine, they aren't a vehicle, they aren't a monthly payment. They are who I am, they are a way of life. From the minute the ignition fires and I hear a rumble and the ground moving beneath my feet, I'm free. I'm not anything, but me when I'm on the road. I own myself, I own the air, I own everything that happens from the time I leave until the time I return. I'm no angel, I admit I fall under the stereotype of the typical biker now and then which is who I am, and I don't change that for anyone. Most people don't understand us, or how we see the world. I see the world the only way it was meant for me to see it, over the handlebars or between the apes. I'm glad you all can hopefully appreciate where I'm coming from. Ride safe always brothers.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I ride a motorcycle for the free hot dogs at the dealer on Sundays...

Old 04-24-2011, 04:35 AM
ActionPaxton
Advanced

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I ride a motorcycle for the free hot dogs at the dealer on Sundays...
Hot dogs are delicious

Old 04-24-2011, 04:52 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I ride because its fun and I developed a bit of a passion for it. End of story.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionPaxton
Hot dogs are delicious
Yea they are something I relish... and even chili and cheese sometimes.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 843 Likes on 411 Posts

When I totalled my Electraglide last fall, I was bikeless for awhile. First time in twenty years without a bike. It just didn't feel right; I had enough other interests, but something was missing. Now that I have another bike, everything feels "normal" again. It was a bigger part of me than I thought, and I thought it was pretty big.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 AM
artz
Road Master

I'm preaching to the choir here so if you don't have the patience for it I can understand. I'm speaking with my wife today (who doesn't much care for me riding even though I've been riding for years before I met her) and tell her I'm going to buy a new Harley (either a fat bob, or street bob, or a crossbones if my bank account would stop having seizures every time I think about it) and she flips out on me telling me I don't have my priorities straight etc. I make plenty of money for a bike(s), bills, family, etc. My two wheels aren't a machine, they aren't a vehicle, they aren't a monthly payment. They are who I am, they are a way of life. From the minute the ignition fires and I hear a rumble and the ground moving beneath my feet, I'm free. I'm not anything, but me when I'm on the road. I own myself, I own the air, I own everything that happens from the time I leave until the time I return. I'm no angel, I admit I fall under the stereotype of the typical biker now and then which is who I am, and I don't change that for anyone. Most people don't understand us, or how we see the world. I see the world the only way it was meant for me to see it, over the handlebars or between the apes. I'm glad you all can hopefully appreciate where I'm coming from. Ride safe always brothers.
Bravo ! Bravo ! (clapping...) the perfect description of a biker....of me.
When i returned from the west coast, every woman I dated, i told up front, "Ok I ride a motorcycle....love it or leave".
My wife never rode a bike. Now she loves it, wants her own, and has more harley apparel than me. LOL ! I AM a lucky guy.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

:
:

I could be wrong but

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I ride motorcycles for the shear joy of hard accelleration,and the freedom of being surrounded by steel.Power to weight ratio can be made to really make it happen.The latest twin is grunting out over 180 lb ft.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

been maried 40 years wife"s hated the bikes for 40 years,won"t ride or even get close to them,but she noticed im better off with one.don"t drink as much get along with people better, and seem to be more at ease.still went nuts when i bought the 2008 superglide,but she got over it.

Quick Reply: Why I Ride a Motorcycle. Kind of a rant, proceed with caution