General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed bike according to HD standards... fine scratches surfaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Dark Helmet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washed bike according to HD standards... fine scratches surfaced

This weekend I washed my bike for the first time since I bought it (3 weeks brand new). I followed everything to the "T" according to what HD recommends as far as products to use and how to wash the bike. After rinsing and drying with the softcloth, I noticed a plethora of "fine" scratches on the rear-frame.

Here is my theory... after letting the wash mitt soak for a little while I began washing the bike left to right from the bottom up. On the chrome exhaust there was little miniscule pieces of hardened rubber / brake dust. What I am thinking happened is as I scrubbed over that with the wash mitt, the mitt picked up some of those tiny pieces and stuck to the mitt. When I got to the top of the bike (even after dipping and soaking this mitt constantly) I believe some of those tiny pieces still stuck onto the mitt and in scrubbing the bike they are what caused the scratches.

Anybody have any similar experiences or that can verify this and what I can do in the future to prevent this from happening?

Maybe it was because I didn't use a HD 3 1/2 gallon bucket

Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

When I wash any of my vehicles, I use two buckets; one with soap and water and the other with just clean water which has a sediment screen just above the bottom of the bucket. After the initial application of soapy water on my vehicle, I never put my wash mitt back in the soap without rinsing it in the clean water first.

You'd be surprised on the amount of sediment in the rinse bucket after you're done. But that's just me...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you had a good coat of wax on that paint I don't think you would be having this problem.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Try some meguiars scratch x on it.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:51 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

More riding less washing. It's not a show bike.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:02 PM
True Grit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdgzr
When I wash any of my vehicles, I use two buckets; one with soap and water and the other with just clean water which has a sediment screen just above the bottom of the bucket. After the initial application of soapy water on my vehicle, I never put my wash mitt back in the soap without rinsing it in the clean water first.

You'd be surprised on the amount of sediment in the rinse bucket after you're done. But that's just me...
This is the correct method. You should be using good quality microfiber to dry and a quality mitt to wash. The sediment screen is also called a grit guard and they should be in each bucket.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

wait until you have had it for 20 years, there won't be any paint left on the frame under the motor. nobody will see the scratches because nobody will look. when you stop worrying about all those small scratches you'll start having more fun.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

The proper HD method for washing insures scratches so that you will buy Harley detailing products. Look into this MARVELOUS product, which recommends terry cloth OVER microfiber:

Wet Paint Automotive Polishing Glaze: cleans, polishes and protects vehicle surfaces.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
1SickNightTrain
Advanced

I don't know what HD info you are referring to but you never wash anything with paint on it from the bottom up.

you always start from the top and work your way down. Debris from the road is going to be stuck towards the bottom of your bike and if you start from there you'll be wiping all that S**t all over your bikes new paint.

also using the two bucket technique is a good call, it will help you maintain a clean washing mit throughout the process.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why did you start from the bottom then go up? The bottom of the bike gets the dirtiest so do it last. Go top down just like you would your car when you wash it.

Quick Reply: Washed bike according to HD standards... fine scratches surfaced