Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Sturgis oil change (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/640346-sturgis-oil-change.html)

Droop 05-07-2011 03:59 AM

Sturgis oil change

I am riding out to Sturgis from NH again this year. I would like to avoid the high priced oil changes offered by some of the vendors downtown. Where can I find an inexpensive oil change near or enroute to/from Sturgis? I thought I saw a do-it-yourself lot set up somwhere. I wish I remembered where or who sponsored it.

Stiggy 05-07-2011 04:39 AM

If you change your own oil, then change it out (early perhaps,) before you leave and ride out and back without worry. Nobody touches your bike but you and the cost is lowest by far.

cdestuck 05-07-2011 05:33 AM

Let us know what direction your coming from and the distance you'll be riding. Easy to look for dealers a 100 miles or so out and hit one of them.

cromagnon 05-07-2011 05:36 AM

If you put synthetic in before you leave, why would you need to worry about an oil change when you get there? That stuff is plenty good for the entire trip.

silverbullet69 05-07-2011 05:38 AM

:):)

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 8287696)
if you change your own oil, then change it out (early perhaps,) before you leave and ride out and back without worry. Nobody touches your bike but you and the cost is lowest by far.

+1

cochon 05-07-2011 06:36 AM

I agree with Stiggy. Change it before you leave N.H.

masterblaster 05-07-2011 06:36 AM

Well I was shocked at the prices they were charging at the Amsoil tent (and other places), actually a little pissed, felt they were gouging. I went to the O'reillys across the street, boought al necessary materials, Mobil 1 V $9 per qt, Blue paper towels, drain pan $3, Fram Filter cant remember but like $5. Did the oil change in parking lot, dumped oil at store recycle bin left pan behind. All of this within sight of the theiving oil changers tents, fk them. Total cost $50.

Afterwords I seen a church on the bypass street everyone uses offering a place to change oil and wash bike for free, tents and all. Good Christians there.

As others said change before you leave, I was on way back to Fla from Alaska so was due for change.

handyhoward 05-07-2011 06:49 AM

Like it's been mentioned earlier... change your own with synthetic before you leave NH... won't have to worry about it 'til you get home again... and then some.

Nightstalker88 05-07-2011 06:54 AM

+1 on the Church group, they aren't keeping you from bike so you can watch every step of the way if you really want it changed while your there. They have a lift and do it right, the only expense was the oil.

bwana1 05-07-2011 08:04 AM

Did someone say "price gouging" at Sturgis? Never heard of such a thing. LOL

Bwana