General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I gotta break this habit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I gotta break this habit

I am back on a bike ( First Harley) after about 40 years. I am comfortable on the bike now and my wife is getting there also (2 up)

We were out on a leisurely ride this afternoon on a local back road that we both are very familiar with.

On a sharp right hand curve, I was expecting about anything and sure enough, there as I came out of the curve, a car was sitting at the stop sign ( to my right) ready to pull out. As I came around the corner, I couldn't make eye contact with him as he had already looked left and was turning his head to the right. I knew he didn't see me.

As he started turning his head back my way again for a second look, he went ahead and started pulling out but saw me in time to stop. If he had continued, I could have still stopped but would have probably dropped the bike with my wife on it. I don't really blame him too much, it was pretty much circumstances and I was ready for it. We have all done it at some point

What puzzles me is I was expecting that to happen but what did I do?
I got on the rear break first hard enough to slide the rear tire then let off.

I HAVE to break this habit of not getting to both brakes together...especially if I am expecting something

Has anyone else had to break that habit? any advice?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Ride Like A Pro V DVD & practice the lessons. The chapter on slow speed maneuvering is worth the cost of the DVD alone. There are lessons on split braking as well.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
strongwood
Road Master

Thanks, I will search for a copy

Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I've done it myself before. I now got in the habit of holding my hand over the front brake lever anytime I'm expecting something like that. Helps eliminate the instinct of putting your foot into it before your hand makes it to the front brakes.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
strongwood
Road Master

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
I've done it myself before. I now got in the habit of holding my hand over the front brake lever anytime I'm expecting something like that. Helps eliminate the instinct of putting your foot into it before your hand makes it to the front brakes.
Yeah I should have done that but I guess driving a cage for the past 40 years, my foot has the priority at the moment

Also,I have to extend my fingers almost straight out to keep them wrapped around the brake lever, maybe I need to find some more comfortable

Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yups I have as well, and I also now rest a couple of fingers over the front lever when coming to an intersection or situation where i feel the need to be ready. They say you save just a second by doing this, and thus should reduce your chances of locking up the rear by quite a bit. Be safe and be aware is the only keys to staying safer out there.
It is a far more dangerous place to be since my early days of riding. Riding like their all out to get you is what saved you in this instance.
Ride Safe!

aka Bob

Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM
bluevette87
Intermediate

we ride 4 wheelers alot and where we ride (W. Va.) has alot of hills. you have to use the front brake, rarely use the rear.
with that in mind i find myself grabing at the front brake and not going for the rear. i have to actually think about it. not good, i am working on it.
hopefully we can both get it figured out.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will honk if I think someone doesn't see me just to get their attention, but I still prepare myself to stop quickly.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM
JackDupp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by strongwood

I HAVE to break this habit of not getting to both brakes together...especially if I am expecting something

Has anyone else had to break that habit? any advice?
That's one of the hardest habit's for some to break, but maybe the most
important. People spend a life time in an auto and in an emergency jump
on the floor brake. I don't ride with my foot covering the foot brake and
I've always made a habit of doing all my stopping with the front, reserving
the rear for slow maneuvers or holding at a stop. Only constant practice
will insure you automatically do the right things in a panic.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get used to covering your front brake, anytime there is risk. If there's something wrong w/ the grip/lever fit, fix it. Your front brake controls most of your stopping power. But watch out for it if there's gravel.

Quick Reply: I gotta break this habit