General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Daytona carbon fiber DOT shorty helmet - my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default new Daytona carbon fiber DOT shorty helmet - my thoughts

After much research on here, other websites and asking around, I went with the Daytona carbon fiber DOT shorty skull cap helmet. It arrived this past weekend.

I wanted the smallest DOT available. Quite frankly, I think it still looks like a mushroom, but it'll do. It's way better than the HJC piece of **** half helmet I paid too much for at the stealership. You can literally scrape the black paint of that HJC with your fingernail.

I moved here from a "choice" state and rode with skull cap for the first few years here. I'll still wear it from time to time, but I figured if I could get a small DOT, it could be my daily lid.

One thing I've noticed about this helmet is that it's a little wide for my head on the sides, above the ears. Which, I think pronounces the mushroom look even more. But, it's much better than the other choices I looked at.

Figured I'd post my thoughts because I read all opinions when I was considering what to buy.

(I also posted a similar thread about my new 10" Windvest windshield in the Touring section if anyone cares)

fb

Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Qdraw
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
After much research on here, other websites and asking around, I went with the Daytona carbon fiber DOT shorty skull cap helmet. It arrived this past weekend.

I wanted the smallest DOT available. Quite frankly, I think it still looks like a mushroom, but it'll do. It's way better than the HJC piece of **** half helmet I paid too much for at the stealership. You can literally scrape the black paint of that HJC with your fingernail.

I moved here from a "choice" state and rode with skull cap for the first few years here. I'll still wear it from time to time, but I figured if I could get a small DOT, it could be my daily lid.

One thing I've noticed about this helmet is that it's a little wide for my head on the sides, above the ears. Which, I think pronounces the mushroom look even more. But, it's much better than the other choices I looked at.

Figured I'd post my thoughts because I read all opinions when I was considering what to buy.

(I also posted a similar thread about my new 10" Windvest windshield in the Touring section if anyone cares)

fb
Great Review Man, I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these as well... but like everyone else, was getting real tired of the friggin Kazoo look.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried on some of the Daytona helmets on Saturday and ordered one because it fit so much better than my current helmet and it was probably half the weight. plus it did not have all that plastic crap around the straps. It should be here this week.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of the Daytona 3/4 helmets on the way. I should have it in 2 more days. It looks good on their website and one of the things I like about it is it's fiberglass shell. They also have different shell sizes to accomidate the different size ranges. If I like it I'll also get one of their half helmets as well...stay tuned.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Bone11B
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the review... I got a Vega XTS naked and Fulmer Ranger...
Been looking at getting the daytona to see how it fits.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 PM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a Daytona 3/4 about 2 weeks ago, and I think it is a horrible fitting, uncomfortable helmet. I have more a narrow melon. maybe they are better for a round head. I doubt I will ever wear mine. At least it was only $50.

I am curious if the Fulmer V2 would fit my melon better.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Bone11B
Road Captain

Originally Posted by warrick
I just got a Daytona 3/4 about 2 weeks ago, and I think it is a horrible fitting, uncomfortable helmet. I have more a narrow melon. maybe they are better for a round head. I doubt I will ever wear mine. At least it was only $50.

I am curious if the Fulmer V2 would fit my melon better.
I have mine for sale
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gear-...le-shield.html

Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a small size Daytona DOT carbon fiber also for my female passenger riders....that lid is huge. mushroom effect for sure. Glad i only paid $35.00 for it new. Also glad i dont have to wear it. just sayen! lol

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Beachman
Advanced

I have a 1/2 Daytona carbon helmet. It is very light and I like it with the exception of the strap / buckle. I bought the quick release kit but it is still not as easy to use as I would like. If you are looking a 1/2 helmet I would recommend it. As far as the mushroom look, I think you are going to get this to some degree with any DOT approved helmet due to the padding required to meet the rating.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 AM
sunrise rider
Cruiser

I was thinking about the Daytona chrome half helmet, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Quick Reply: new Daytona carbon fiber DOT shorty helmet - my thoughts