Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Stern advice to stand down (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/649046-stern-advice-to-stand-down.html)

RideDglide 05-30-2011 09:19 AM

Stern advice to stand down

So my son has been dropping by the local HD dealer hovering around a Nightster on consignment. Keeps trying to lure me in to support his decision to pull the trigger, but I'm not biting. Yesterday he stopped by and said he was on his way to test ride it. I had to be straight with him and told him I don't support his decision and sternly advised him to stand down.
Personally I don't think the time is right. His first child (son) is due in a couple of weeks and I think he should be focusing on raising and spending time with his kid and not out every weekend trying to keep up with my riding schedule. His wife agrees.
Kind of a sucky position to have to take. He is responsible and they are financially stable. He had a sportbike a few years ago and we took many a ride together. On the return trip of one ride, I let him ride my Glide home.
Guess I'm somewhat responsible for him wanting a HD.
Would love nothing more than to be out sharing the road with hime, just think it's not his time.:icon_patriot:

1flhtk4me 05-30-2011 09:26 AM

He's an adult and has to be responable for his decisions.
Yes you can give him advice but cant force him to do anything.JMO.

IzzoQuazzo 05-30-2011 09:26 AM

You mean he's an adult but you think you have the right to make his decisions for him? When I was 19 I joined the Army and went to fight in Vietnam. I didn't need my parent's permission or blessing to do so. Treat him like the adult he is. You don't have to like what he decides, but he's old enough to decide for himself. Cut the apron springs, dad.

krwould 05-30-2011 09:28 AM

He is a man... he should make his decisions with advice and talk it over with his wife. You may need to let it go and he will have to accept the family responsiblities and divide his time accordingly. To tell him to stand down might throw up a barrier you may regret later...

Fathers advice is always taken but the decision should be his.. my .02

KSRoadKing 05-30-2011 09:30 AM

I'd let him make his own decision. Try to support whatever he decides to do. He's a man and sounds like he's doing a good job of taking care of things.

Whiskers 05-30-2011 09:30 AM

I wish my dad had been around and cared to offer advice, so I admire the fact that you care enough to counsel him.

Ultimately, it will be his decision and though I agree with you on this one, its time for you to 'stand down' and let him make his own choice.

Griff012FLHX 05-30-2011 09:34 AM

It's called life insurance....

vtwin1340 05-30-2011 09:35 AM

You obviously have some remorse and doubts about your actions, or you wouldn't have posted it on an internet forum. Advice is one thing, giving orders or commands is another.

mrjimbo 05-30-2011 09:42 AM

Dad,
Sounds like you raised a fine son, even if he gets the bike, does not mean he will be a bad dad, and if he's riding with you, better than him being out drinking with his buddies, and you can make sure he gets home on time........
Kind of hard to tell him not to ride when you do it yourself. kinda the reason I stopped smokin'..........
I wiped my kid's ass's when they were little, stayed up all night with them when they were sick......I'll tell them what to do till the day I die.......whether they do it is up to them though, and gives me the option of "I told you so"...........

BadMoJoe 05-30-2011 09:43 AM

I think your giving him advise is great and if he follows it all is good. But if he doesn't buy the bike because you ordered him to stand down then he may not be the MAN you think he is.