General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Basic Rider Course - My first day experience - Kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 AM
orin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my MSF course a year ago on an August in southern california (L.A.). It was so hot we had volunteers bringing in gatorade and water. If the day is going to be hot, I'd recommend doing just that.

The Advanced course is something Id like to do - Ive been riding less than a year, and I still feel like I could stand a refresher to build confidence and skill. Maneuvering while riding slow can be much harder than the lane splitters make it look!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

To all those that said they learned something, for the benefit of the rest of us, what was it that you learned?

I only ask this because of 45 years of riding and not out of any other than respect for the class instruction.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

When I used to teach that course, almost everyone had a good time by the time it was over, and the people who couldn't ride very well at the beginning, were almost always doing much better by the end. Some of the worst were the "experienced" riders. ... and lots of dropped bikes, pushing the limits. Everyone rode their own bikes at our course.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife is in the class this weekend. Very hot. I told her to drink water, but she never listens.... Almost passed out in the heat. Hopefully she'll be ok for Sunday's class. She's worried about the testing. She said that her bike is the worst in the bunch. Clutch needs adjusting and the neutral light is out. I told her it will be good practice for her.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Another vote for taking the advanced course.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your class is anything like the one I took, that guy you mentioned WILL pass.

Shakey

Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Great write-up & thanks for posting. Went through local LE BRC back in 1988 & still use techniques & principles learned to this day (dual braking, SIPDE process, look thru turning, etc.), but can always teach an old rider new tricks. Hope the heat turns down a bit.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Clutch70
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In our class, even the chick who dropped the bike during the riding test passed. Not to mention the other class ate our doughnuts and drank all the coffee.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

been looking at taking it, but hard to find. one available through the community college and another course thats similar but different is the ride like a pro instruction. we have one here in the d.c. area and have thought about taking that one. love watching that cd.

cass

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
been looking at taking it, but hard to find. one available through the community college and another course thats similar but different is the ride like a pro instruction. we have one here in the d.c. area and have thought about taking that one. love watching that cd.
cass
cass; go to any HD dealership - they hold classes (can register online), or contact your local LEO/Sheriff Dept who also has m/c training courses. In DC metro - the opportunities should be endless for training. Good luck!

Quick Reply: MSF Basic Rider Course - My first day experience - Kinda long