General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping near the dragon??

Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping near the dragon??

Well the wife informed me tonight she is going to go see her grandparents during the july 4th weekend and I am immediately thinking that I should go do something I have been wanting to do since I got my bike last year......go drive the tail of the dragon and some other rides in that area.

Pretty sure I want to load the bike up for the 1st time and go camping in the area. My question is where would be the best place to camp?? I searched the forums and a lot of people say the Iron horse is a good place, it looks nice. I was on their web site and see that they sell food their but DO THEY HAVE A BAR???

Any other spots that you guys would recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking forward to the same trip.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Independence Day at Deal's Gap usually resembles a police convention. No shortage of camp grounds all around the area. Finding a whiskey bar may present a challenge, but most everywhere allows you to BYO.

An alternative you might like is to camp in or around Bryson city. A nice ride to the Gap and a town with a few good restaurants and taverns.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
fatvette
Cruiser

No they do not. It's a dry county so you have to byob.
Originally Posted by scasey
Well the wife informed me tonight she is going to go see her grandparents during the july 4th weekend and I am immediately thinking that I should go do something I have been wanting to do since I got my bike last year......go drive the tail of the dragon and some other rides in that area.

Pretty sure I want to load the bike up for the 1st time and go camping in the area. My question is where would be the best place to camp?? I searched the forums and a lot of people say the Iron horse is a good place, it looks nice. I was on their web site and see that they sell food their but DO THEY HAVE A BAR???

Any other spots that you guys would recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Tellico Plains & the Cherohala Skyway have several choices that can be found online & IMHO is a pretty good area to ride but you do have to byob.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort. Ph#855 856 5455. Jody the owner is a great guy. They open at 11:00 am. The area is in a dry county. However If you dont want to get a cooler full of beer on the bike get a cooler and when you get to the camp ground talk to Jody he makes a beer run everyday as He likes a cold one himself.
FYI He also has little cabins and there are bears of course its Tennessee. Have a great trip We go every year.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain

iron horse lodge byob . clean ,friendly and they serve breakfast and dinner

Attached Thumbnails Camping near the dragon??-smokey-mountains-6-11-012.jpg  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by hardwork2
Check out Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort. Ph#855 856 5455. Jody the owner is a great guy. They open at 11:00 am. The area is in a dry county. However If you dont want to get a cooler full of beer on the bike get a cooler and when you get to the camp ground talk to Jody he makes a beer run everyday as He likes a cold one himself.
FYI He also has little cabins and there are bears of course its Tennessee. Have a great trip We go every year.
Maybe they changed things there i just checked their web site and it says they have a pub. Also shows beer logos on the page. Will give them a call later.
I just don"t get this DRY COUNTY THING!

http://www.punkincentermotorcycleres...=88&Itemid=153

Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Along with the others mentioned, the Kickstand Lodge is a pretty cool place and very accomodating. Owner's name is Mo, and she makes a damn fine breakfast each morning and supper at night. Clean bathrooms and showers, and even has cabins and pre-setup tents for rent. You can check the site out - just google it...

Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
...people say the Iron horse is a good place, it looks nice. I was on their web site and see that they sell food their but DO THEY HAVE A BAR???
Nope, strictly BYOB. But it is a nice place to stay for a few days(!)