General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Head Fork Lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Default Steering Head Fork Lock problem

Been having some issues with my steering head fork lock, key getting stuck even after easing up/wiggle on or at the left turn stop), key tip slots not lining up, tumblers sticking??, I did grind the key top tip off and it then allows to get the slots re-aligned, but when using the original factory master key, it still tends to be hanging up, not smooth lock-unlock action like it should be?

I've used Dri-Slide with graphite and Lock Ease but neither seems to smooth it out, I got stuck 'once' not be able to unlock (fortunately within walikng distance of home), I'm going to just replace the whole assembly and be done with it...tired of phuckin' with it. How much is involved? Does the whole fork/steering tube need to come out?

need a part# also, unable to find.
2000 FXDWG

Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you have to split the triple tree on a 98 Wideglide. Take your time. Secure the bike good. Follow the manual and protect your paint and chrome. I covered my tank with a good soft large towel. Same with the fender. It was important that my keys matched so I actually changed out the ignition and fork lock. I don't even know if you can buy them separate because I wouldn't anyway.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I've wondered about this myself. I think I'm gonna put a couple of tabs on the neck and forks and do like in the Ole days with a pad lock.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Yes, you have to split the triple tree on a 98 Wideglide. Take your time. Secure the bike good. Follow the manual and protect your paint and chrome. I covered my tank with a good soft large towel. Same with the fender. It was important that my keys matched so I actually changed out the ignition and fork lock. I don't even know if you can buy them separate because I wouldn't anyway.
split the triple tree? remove steering tube, bearings etc., .............................................. ugh