General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best dyna and suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 AM
geejoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation best dyna and suspension upgrade

Ok so from what ive read it appears that a dyna is one of the best handling bikes, which model would you suggest and what in particular , suspension upgrades can you all reccomend? My money will be here tomorrow and im anxious to get that harley and do the improvements! Thankyou all! Joe.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM
randalwalker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Dyna Wide Glide. Still factory suspension. Had to jack up the shocks two clicks to keep from bottoming out on the rr tracks when riding two up. My wife weighs 112 so the rear shocks are weak from the factory. Other than that, the Dyna rides like a dream though.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Swede405
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably want to post this in the Dyna forum instead, but you are correct about the handling. It's all about fit for you really. Go sit on them at the dealer, rent one or two for a nice long test ride, or wait for a demo day at the dealer. You'll get some better suggestions if you let us know height, weight, inseam, riding two-up or solo, etc. I'd start by looking at Progressive suspension for upgraded shocks they have a wide variety in different price ranges.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure which is the best model dyna, but for my money, Ohlins is the best suspension out there.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want handling, I wouldn't go with the Wide Glide. I think the Street Bob and Fat Bob both come with standard height shocks while the Wide Glide and Super Glide both have lowered shocks. While you may be changing shocks, you may also need to change fork springs to retain the same front to rear balance. Starting with one with standard height shocks you could just change rear shocks and keep the same stance.

Also, on my WG I keep scrapping the stock pipes whenever I make right hand turns. Left is good but right, not so good. While some say the extra rake also dimishishes agility that trait I haven't experianced and I came off a very twitchy Sportster. But that's why I go the Wide Glide...If I want a fun handling bike, I have the Sportster.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A good handling Harley? That's like saying that you have a nimble mule

Sportsters are the best handling of the current Harleys and the Dynas are very similar in geometry to the Sportsters. But the Wide Glide is not the best handling Dyna. Not meant to be.

Despite the weak factory shocks, Dynas ride pretty nice from the factory, but you will probably want to upgrade the suspension at some point.

Progressive shocks are the most popular option for Harley riders, but there are others.

But don't forget about the front end. Some good springs and a fork brace will really sharpen up your handling and increase rider comfort.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to disagree about the sporties !! they are great....in a straight line. If you want a great handling harley , you need to get your hands on a FXR . Dyna's are OK stock ( i have a wide glide )
but if you are the kind of guy that pushes a bike your gonna be in for a surprise then you'll be shopping for springs front and rear / true track or some other brand of engine linkage/ steering dampener/.............. welcome to our world lol
right now I'm dampener shopping and thinking about going to a wider front wheel tire ( 120/70 ) already have done springs /truetrack and a few other things...............a need for speed = money

Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FXR used

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Street Bobs have lower shocks just like the Low Riders used to have.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
I have to disagree about the sporties !! they are great....in a straight line. If you want a great handling harley , you need to get your hands on a FXR . Dyna's are OK stock ( i have a wide glide )
Said that Sportsters were the best handling of the current Harleys.

I know FXRs have this reputation as being great handling machines, but I would seriously doubt that it can match an XR1200.

It's been about 5 years since I rode an FXR, and it wasn't mine, so I didn't push it. The riding position was good and it tracked real smooth in tight turns, etc. That's all I remember.

But if you watch the YouTube clips of XR1200s, I'd have a hard time seeing an FXR do all that. I could be wrong. Maybe an FXR would blow it away.

Quick Reply: best dyna and suspension upgrade