General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finger Nail Polish Remover for Boot Marks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM
grog_lives
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finger Nail Polish Remover for Boot Marks

I read recently that some use acetone to remove boot marks from exhaust pipes. Well my significant other mentioned that nail polish remover has acetone in it. Has anyone used nail polish remove to get boot marks off of tail pipes?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Non11
Cruiser

I use a fine bronze wool to remove "stuff" like that from my chrome pipes. The bronze wool isnt hard enough to scratch the chrome and it takes off everything in a few seconds. I've had boot rubber and a few other things melted on that I've removed quickly with this method.

If you go that route, just to be on the safe side, rub it on a hidden part of the pipe first to test it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
bamarider
Tourer

"ROAD RUB" Most all motorcycle shops have it. Looks like a dry stick of deorderant. On a cool surface it wipes it off effortlessly!! About $6.00 Last a long time!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Turtle Wax chrome polish & rust remover... stuff's been around over 30 years and works great.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use my Happich Simichrome polish. It does a great job.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Not sure about boot marks, but I used EZ Off oven cleaner when the pipes were cold, to get some FrogToggs rain pants off when I put my right foot down too close to the pipes. What wouldn't come off with EZ Off, came off with my fingernail.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Yeah I've heard of some of those.things. I asked the original.question about the nail polish remover as I had read a thread a while back where they were using acetone with no ill effects. Again, the polish remover has acetone but it also has other ingredients and I was curious if anyone tried?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Originally Posted by grog_lives
Yeah I've heard of some of those.things. I asked the original.question about the nail polish remover as I had read a thread a while back where they were using acetone with no ill effects. Again, the polish remover has acetone but it also has other ingredients and I was curious if anyone tried?
Yes I have tried it. Did it work yes but it took a lot of rubbing. No damage to the pipes.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw some stuff in the HD shop near Albany NY evidentally packaged and sold by HD. Small bottle about 8 bucks. It says coat the boot mark and let sit 5-20 minutes. If needed wipe with HD polishing cloth. I thought, yeah right. It worked very well. Think it was called Boot Mark Remover ( used a week ago and bottle is at home.) Works better to me than oven cleaner.

I have tired gasoline, diesel fuel, alcohol and other hydrocarbons with almost no success. I did use a metal polish called Nonox with some success available at Advance Auto Parts. Terrible smell and tough on your hands.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I have used a flexable razor blade with no problems.
Sometimes the junk is so baked on,petroleum products dont work.

Quick Reply: Finger Nail Polish Remover for Boot Marks