General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chapter rides / trikes

Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 AM
sniper uk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chapter rides / trikes

hi there..

i am a Road Captain / Geordie Chapter / England..

A few months ago..our lead road captain decided ( after complaints from other members about trikes on ride-outs) to have a trial period..where the
trikes would be placed at the back..( in front of the sweep)

" trial period only"..

recently he has come under fire from the trike riders about his decision..
" we can ride wherever we want to"...

just wondering where other chapters and trike ridres stand on this one..

comments appreciated

thanks

sniper

Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Trikes in the rear.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 448 Likes on 243 Posts

Most clubs, that have ride guidelines... suggest trikes ride in the back of the pack. My group has THIS
It is recommended that trikes and bikes with sidecars be to the rear of the formation and ride single file at all times ahead of the Tail Gunner.

Should you start a ride at one place, and pick up riders along the route. They may ride behind the trikes, until the group stops at a rest point. The second group THEN, may re-form in front of the trikes.
Never.. never... never pass a trike, to "fill the pack in"

Of course... that is how my group does it... how YOUR group does it depends on your ride guidelines.
Generally... members CAN ride where ever they want.... but group safety, trumps personal preference. for the trike riders safety, as well as the group's safety... we place them at the rear.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trikes should be at the rear. Not so much the size, but for safety. A trike's brakes are much more effective, and two wheelers behind a trike will overtake a hard braking trike.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When and how did a rule develop that trikes should always ride at the rear? I've taken 3 MSF courses in 45 years and don't remember any recommendation like that for trikes. If that's something new I'll retract my statement. Is it because there are more trikes?

If everyone rides at the recommended 2 second interval no matter the speed, anyone on a 2 wheeler should be able to stop in time to prevent a rear end collision. In my group riding experience, the most obvious problem for a lot of riders is they like to rider to close to each other.

What do you do when you are behind cars and trucks? You can't see around them either. I have found the 2 second rule gives me plenty of time to avoid potholes etc. when following vehicles.

I guess it could depend on what ever a particular group of riders want to do.

Last edited by shortride; 06-21-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trikes to the rear. Two up towards the rear. Inexperienced riders toward the front. Way I was taught and never cared. I find myself preferring to ride in the rear. I enjoy watching the bikes. We never have let trikes ride anywhere but the rear but I have seen everyone else ride anywhere they want.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Jondalar
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the rear for our chapter.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

I agree with the Trike riders. They can ride where ever they want to. I suggest they do just that. Who needs the drama.
I do just fine for many thousands of miles without a road captain or a sweeper. Every ride I've ever been on that had them has been a clusterfuk. The captains get their panties in a knot about little or nothing and somebody always gets their feelings hurt. Ruins the ride for everyone.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We always put the trikes in the back,that way when the old folks fall asleep they won't take out as many other bikes.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had my way, it would be leave 'em in the parking lot.
trikes are asked to ride center of the lane so they wont cross over into the path of other motorcycles, ( thats why I hate the dang things).
The two second rule is ok for HOG rides but I have found most people cant count. you lose sight of the bike behind you and you wonder if he is saying one mississippi or spelling one mississippi???
there are people wrecking on trikes in the foothills of the blue ridge mtns. causing more and more to go toward the Can Am because of their agility in the mountains....
unfortunately we stage trikes in the pack where they line up but just ask they ride center of the lane and hope other riders understand they wallow in the lanes like a fat sow pig in a mud hole going through curvy roads.
since you dont need a motor cycle endorsement in South Carolina now for a trike you can guess people that cant ride and pass a motorcycle test are riding trikes....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chapter rides / trikes