General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Expert Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Belle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF Expert Rider Course

I took (and passed) the MSF basic course in April 2011. Since then I have put about 600 miles on my Softail. I have ridden on the highway (not the interstate but 55-60 mph), at night and on some pretty curvy roads.

I signed up to take the expert course on Thursday (6/28/11). Now, I am having second thoughts. I am just not sure I am ready. I still haven't reached that comfort zone where I don't think about what gear I am in when I negotiate a stop light. I am afraid I will be there with real "expert" drivers and they will get annoyed that I shouldn't be there.

Has anyone taken this course? Do you think I should go ahead and go Thursday or wait until next year? It is free (my husband is military) and I thought it might be good to go ahead and take the course just to stop any bad habits now rather than later.

Any suggestions or comments??

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM
mechmotor82
Advanced

take the course your there to learn better motorcycle skills not learn what other people think what could it hurt.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
BIGSTEVEX3
Cruiser

Not making fun of you but you put 600 miles on in 3 months you need to ride some more. I put that on just jacking around last week 300 yesterday

Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Stranglehold
Intermediate

I say take the class. You don't lose anything by taking it. Not to mention, the other people taking the class probably have the exact same fears as you.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 AM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the class, seriously what can it hurt? Your not taking the class for the other guys. Great training just sets you up for success.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is recommended that you have at least a thousand miles experience or take it next season. That said, it won't hurt if you take the course, by the way, it's the "Experienced" Rider Course, and it's far from expert. You will recognize most of the excersizes from the Basic Rider Course.
Relax, go out and have fun.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Just go ahead and take the course. Hell, you've got engine guards on the bike, whats the worst that can happen, a few scratches? And the price is right.
Any continued riding courses taught by professional riders should be a win/win situation.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off there is no such thing as an expert rider! .... there are experienced riders and natural riders and that's it ..... you can only be as good as your natural ability allows ..... Your comfort zone will come in time with experience and that means miles , miles , and more miles and you will find it's second nature to ride ... you say you have taken one course already well work on what you have been taught after all did you run or walk first ...... Good luck , safe riding and enjoy the your bike! .... PS. i still make the occasional error and that's after 43 years riding but i'm still around so just ride learn and enjoy

Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Like the others said, take the class. Relax, have fun and you'll do fine. It just builds on skills you learned in the basic class. And the price is right!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Try and talk with the instructor and tell him exactly what you have told us. He will probably tell you to come on over. He may tell you to log a few more miles and wait until next time, but either way you'll have the word straight from him. Confidence on the bike is one of the most important factors in any riding condition.

Quick Reply: MSF Expert Rider Course