General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My home made bike ramp

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

get a trailer to haul the bike, it will be safer, and your truck shouldnt burn much more gas,just saying

Old 07-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley Motorcycle... $18K
Pickup Truck.......... $30K+
Watching someone try to be cheap loading the bike into the truck...PRICELESS

Think long and hard...is it really worth the savings if your bike doesn't make it up or down safely?

Renting a trailer will be MUCH cheaper..

Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 AM
travelsfardoyle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You just can't make this stuff up

Seriously, someone please tell me that was staged because if it wasn't there are more idiots out there than I thought there were. Had to laugh at the old man though, you could see it in the set of his shoulders and the hanging of his head, he was thinking "and I'm related to this family of idiots". Actually the girl that was laughing was probably the smartest one in the bunch, at least she could appreciate the idiocy she just witnessed.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Looks like a plan. Might think about have two buddies spot for ya as you unload it. If it starts to get away from ya, youll be glad to have them there.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travelsfardoyle
Seriously, someone please tell me that was staged because if it wasn't there are more idiots out there than I thought there were. Had to laugh at the old man though, you could see it in the set of his shoulders and the hanging of his head, he was thinking "and I'm related to this family of idiots". Actually the girl that was laughing was probably the smartest one in the bunch, at least she could appreciate the idiocy she just witnessed.
I'm pretty sure it's real, because there are many more just like it on YouTube. It's worth going there and doing a search. Try 'Harley ramp fail' 'motorcycle loading accident' etc

Tens of thousands of dollars in damages caused by simple stupidity

HDforums user 'unome' posted a story about running his bike through the back of his cab a while back.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

IMO...from risk management point of view...it's not worth the risk. Wouldn't trust $20 of lumber & $5 cargo straps to load any bike into truck bed. As the video shows - too many things can go wrong & is it worth getting hurt, damaging bike/truck...no. I'd rent/buy bike trailer, or ride the bike on this trek. Again - JMO & it's your choice to do whatever you wish w/your stuff...just be safe!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:54 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a 1986 Ford Centurion which has the bed about as high as yours. I made a foldaway 12' (hinged @ 6' & 4') aluminum 10" channel than I bent both sides on a brake at 45*. The angle assures the tires will not run off the sides when pushing.

You will need two friends to push your bike up and you to steer. I made it in 1986 and never had any problems with it. I use a 1/2" carriage bolt as a way to keep the ramp from moving and the truck end of the ramp has a welded piece that is level with the truck bed. I would never ride the bike up the ramp but friends are indispensable in this case. OP: Make sure your truck end of the ramp is mechanically fastened to the bed.

With friends you will never have any problems with the exception of how you are going to transport that 12' long ramp. Enjoy your vacation and I appreciate your craftsmanship in finding a solution to your problem. Thanks for sharing.

BTW if you should find a fixed or dirt rise for your ramp, no one is telling you that you could not improvise and make a change of plan.

Last edited by FastHarley; 07-03-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
SCFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see so many things that could go wrong fast, it all comes down to risk management as Iceman stated. Wood flexing and coming loose, supports going forward or failing, tailgate cables letting go and the bike dropping to the ground. I have a trailer I use if this type of situation comes up, good luck, I hope all goes well.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kiltiemon
That seems to be a pretty abrupt angle where the ramp and the truck bed intersect. Given the angle of that intersect, the bike's wheelbase, and the road clearance of the bike, are you CERTAIN that you won't hang up as you ride it up?

Measure REAL good on this one!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon
I gotta agree with Jim on this, you've built a nice strong Ramp, but that Angle is gonna get you. Looks like you're going to catch the Bike Frame on the Tailgate.

Like others have said, rent a Trailer to be safe.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I like your ingenuity but I would make some changes.

That ramp is too narrow in my opinion. I would go with 2X12's instead of the 2X8's. You will need more room for your feet and as an extra cushion, you know, a margin for error. I would put some anti-skid strips along where you feet will go.

Also, as someone else said, check the weight limit on the cables for your tailgate. I personally would not trust close to a 1000 pounds (which is where you will be) with the cables on my F150.

All in all I think you did a very nice job. No slipping back with the straps and it looks well supported underneath.

Don't let these naysayers get you down. C'mon guys, this is what makes our country great. American Ingenuity!!!

Quick Reply: My home made bike ramp