Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Are you under 30? Why'd you get a Harley? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/663626-are-you-under-30-whyd-you-get-a-harley.html)

MAKER 07-07-2011 09:05 PM

Are you under 30? Why'd you get a Harley?

Settle a bet guys. Are younger riders getting into HD because it's old school cool and tight bikes, or because everyone and their mom has a rocket, and it's just a different personal style- and tight bikes?

Or is it something different altogether?

MAKER

Account Retired 07-07-2011 09:11 PM

Personally I grew up around Harleys. I have had 3 rockets, 5-6 old school Jap bikes (Yamaha RD 350s and such) and a dozen different Harleys.

For me, It is all about what you can do with it. You get a rocket, you can change the slip ons, the swing arm, and some cosmetic pieces, but you really cannot make it "your own....."

You get a nice Harley and you can do whatever you want to make it just your style, and custom fit for you.... I am 24 and I will never go back to rockets.

I rode my fatboy home and jumped on my R1 to take it over to the guy that bought it from me's house, and I felt like I was on a motorized bicycle. never again...

PistonPuller 07-07-2011 09:11 PM

I was 28 when I got my first one. Here 10 years later I am on my 3rd one. Before I had a gixer1100 and gixer 750. Not sure what is was, but I always wanted a Harley, and when the opportunity came up I bought one.

matt1080 07-07-2011 09:14 PM

Well im 30 so I dont know if I qualify. I had my share of metrics before I stopped riding a few years back. When I got back into it I didnt want to speed around like an ahole anymore. I just wanted to cruise and enjoy myself. You know stay in the lane, go the speed limit, take in the scenery. Always loved harleys so thats what I went for. I could of went for a metric copy but why buy something thats trying to copy something so much? Just buy the original.

Wild Card 07-07-2011 09:19 PM

I'm 31, been riding since 18, Harley's only. The bike's have ''soul''

Sonicgazi 07-07-2011 09:19 PM

I'm 22. I got my Harley because the crotch rocket style just doesn't appeal to me. While I would own and ride one, a Harley will always be the bike I love hands down. The people I've met on my HD are one of a kind and I feel like I'm part of a family. A family that's roots are over a century old. My Grandpa always talked about having blue 1939 Knucklehead back in the 50's and wishing he'd never gotten rid of it. My father had a Harley before I was born. I guess the decision to get a Harley was an easy one. Since I was a child I'd always wanted to have an HD and the dream has come true. I couldn't be happier. There is just something cool about a Harley that other bikes cant come close to recreating. The sound, the feel, the look.

MAKER 07-07-2011 09:21 PM

Right, it's the original- that's kind of how I feel. That was just an approx. age, btw lol

kajunkruzer 07-07-2011 09:22 PM

The only reason I got a Streetglide is because I really liked that particular model and no other manufacturers had anything in their touring lines that tickled my fancy. Only Harleys that do anything for me would be either a Streetglide or a Roadglide Ultra. I was pretty satisfied with my big inch(or cc) metric cruiser, but I wanted a true touring bike and HD had exactly what I wanted in the Streetglide. For those of you who wanted the original, you should have gotten an Indian.

MAKER 07-07-2011 09:29 PM

To me I feel like there's this old school cool to it that still has a validity. Maybe even more so. Back in the day, a biker was a biker you know? Rough an outlaw. Did sheet his way. I think there's a bit of that rebel spirit in the hd that just doesn't live in the rockets. I like that soul idea. There's spirits and history there that I feel like they don't have- shit I want on my side :)

TKDKurt 07-07-2011 09:35 PM

Nope....