General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer gone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts
Default Odometer gone?

My bike is in the shop (has been for a while). Stopped by last week to see what was happening with it and the tech asked me ......."did your odometer work when you dropped this off"? I answered it did and asked what he was talking about. He said that when he hooked it back up and turned on the ignition the Odometer didn't come on, said he had to push the trip button to get it to light up (I hate all the electrical **** on the new bikes) and wanted to know if it was always that way.

I told him it worked fine when I dropped it off. Anyone know what might have caused that? He had to remove the tank for some of the work and I told him to install a 2" lift when he put it back together, don't know if he had to lengthen any wires to do that or not.

They are closed today and I haven't talked to him since I saw him last week. Just thought I'd pick some brains here in case he hasn't been able to figure it out on his own.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I've noticed a couple of times when performing mods or a repair the "state-of-the-art" electronics on my bike will act a little squirrelly when all power has been cut off, such as a wiring harness or battery disconnect, but that all functions are restored after an ignition/motor turn on - kind of like a computer that needs to "reboot" after a power failure.

After you get your bike back from the shop see if you have to keep actuating the trip reset button to get your odo working; if so, then the shop needs to recheck its work to find the fault. Hope it works out.
~

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
len_atwork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't he check the odometer when you dropped it off? They always write down the mileage on the work order when I bring mine in.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Oh no! Time is getting short. Get them on the ball quick!

I'll be doing a 2" lift on my Softail this winter. They look sharp. But, I have heard that it reduces the amount of reserve that can be used.