Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Poker run do's & don'ts (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/666222-poker-run-dos-and-donts.html)

cathead 07-14-2011 09:28 PM

Poker run do's & don'ts

I haven't posted in quite a while, have been busy with various medical procedures and aging parent adventures. Also got a new Mustang last fall and have neglected my HD duties to an extent. But, my head is clearing now and priorities have been restored!

This weekend I am doing a poker run, and although I've been riding for over 40 years, have never been on a poker run and have a couple of questions. Does everyone usually ride as a group and stay more or less together for the stops, or is it more free form and everyone meets up at the end by a certain time?

Any other "rules" to be aware of?

Thanks again!

TXSwede 07-14-2011 09:35 PM

Try to get a royal flush.

firefighter616 07-14-2011 09:42 PM

I stay away from all the "Biker" events
I'm from NYC
say what's on my mind
anti-social
and usually piss people off
hate drunks

and i never win shitte

TXSwede 07-14-2011 09:58 PM

Sorry for the non-answers. Honestly, the vast majority of the poker runs I have attended are free form. There is a designated start time then mandatory stops on your way where you collect a card or just a verification. Then the final stop which may or not be where you started from has an end time where no one else is counted. You can go as fast or slow as you want and ride by yourself or get in a group. If you are going on a run though, do not get upset if people join you, its going to happen and if you don't like riding in a group don't go. And don't have a drink at every stop.
Oh, and try to get a royal flush.

piasspj 07-14-2011 10:02 PM

Most allow you to ride at your own pace, does the flyer mention a specific time or a range of times (first bike out, last bike in)?
Some people ride in small groups and usually there are a couple of larger groups. Unless you start early, there will be people hanging around at each stop.

jazzy jack 07-14-2011 10:03 PM

Stay sober, ride clean and have fun. You'll meet a lot of good people.

TXSwede 07-14-2011 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jazzy jack (Post 8572771)
You'll meet a lot of good people.

And a lot of dick heads too.

lh4x4 07-14-2011 10:17 PM

firefighter616 - I'm with you. Took the words right out of my mouth.

hockey8787 07-14-2011 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by firefighter616 (Post 8572701)
I'm from NYC
say what's on my mind
anti-social
hate drunks

and i never win shitte

Typical Yankee;-) lol

Nubz 07-14-2011 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by firefighter616 (Post 8572701)
I'm from NYC
say what's on my mind
anti-social
hate drunks

and i never win shitte

I'm thinking the op didn't ask what you thought of it in the first place LOL

Thanks for explaining it TXSwede I sort of always wondered what it was myself