General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AirBag vests for motorcyle riders , are you kidding me

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts
Arrow AirBag vests for motorcyle riders , are you kidding me

It's happened at last poof bag vests for bikers it was a matter or time ........
Read all about it;

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39730188

California has more motorcycle riders per capita than any other state, but very few of them seem to know much about safety equipment beyond the mandatory helmets.
"When a motorcycle rider goes down, it's basically their body against the road," said biker Lawyer Norm Fernandez.
But a new safety device could change this.
Several companies are now offering airbag vests or jackets that work principally in the same way.
The jackets have a tether, which the rider attaches to the motorcycle. When the rider is thrown from the saddle, the tether pulls on a CO2 canister that inflates the airbag inside the vest that then cushions the rider's fall.
Rueben Jackson, the distributor of Hit Air said that his jacket will inflate in two-tenths of a second when the ripcord detaches from the bike.
The jacket also has special armor on it to protect the neck and back.

Another company, Armored Air Jackets, touts not only the safety aspects, but claims its jackets are weatherproof and fashionable.
It also has claimed its jackets have saved lives in collisions between motorcycles and cars.
A third popular brand is Impact Air Bag Jackets, which stressed the development of the personal airbag protection was the most important safety innovation in years for both motorcycle riders and horseback riders.
One reason riders in California have been slow to adopt this kind of safety gear is that it's available almost exclusively on the Internet, not in most rider gear shops.
The cost may also be a turn-off, considering the jackets and vests run from $300 and up.
While police overseas have adopted the airbag vests, the vests are not used by the California Highway Patrol, which has adopted its own safety vest made of Kevlar.
Still, considering a rider is killed almost every day in California, say CHP officers, the airbag vests might be a smart alternative for civilian riders.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL ! Mental ************, thats all it is.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 PM
ajb2222
Intermediate

what happens when I forget to disconect the tether?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
JDB
Cruiser
Default Won't work

Do you have any idea how funny I'm going to look when I pull up and step off of the bike without unhooking the tether.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajb2222
what happens when i forget to disconect the tether?
*poof!*

:d

Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Swede405
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how long before these get DOT ratings and become mandatory in the poor helmet states? My money's on 2012.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Luxer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Swede405
So how long before these get DOT ratings and become mandatory in the poor helmet states? My money's on 2012.
Exactly. This could possibly be a great product for people that CHOOSE to use them. First type of consumer that comes to my mind is a novice that likes to hit the track days. Nothing wrong with the consumer having some kind of choice in the market. Where the BS comes in is when the government decides to impose the all-empowering word of "safety" into play and make it mandatory for everyone. I just hope it doesn't go in that direction as I think most people would agree that there is a definite difference between having a choice and having something enforced on us.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I see a lot of nice ones down there in krubs postings/thread!!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 AM
cadman311
Club Member

If they would get a little smarter and use Kevlar with the air bag. They might make a couple more sales. Every time that I have look at those thing they were built cheaply.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 AM
cadman311
Club Member

If it was so good your football teams would wear air bag suits. They have the air bag helmets to large for the bikers.

Quick Reply: AirBag vests for motorcyle riders , are you kidding me