Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   First Long Ride! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/674004-first-long-ride.html)

HaggardSoldier 08-05-2011 12:33 PM

First Long Ride!

So i'm about to go on my first long ride from Oklahoma to North Carolina. I've changed all the fluids, got some new tires since the old ones were wearing pretty close. What advice do you guys have? I've been ridin' a long time, but just within a state or two. Just wonder what you would suggest for a guy thats going to make a 1300 mile ride?

pottsy 08-05-2011 12:45 PM

How many miles you planning to do a day?

Take aspirin, it helps. Stay hydrated, obvious. Plan on stopping every hour or so, even if you don't think you need to. Give yourself 10-15 minutes to walk around, stretch etc. Split up gas stops and rest breaks, don't make them one in the same.

HaggardSoldier 08-05-2011 12:50 PM

I'm going to TRY and do 600 a day, because i don't have much time & i'd like to do 2 hard days of riding and have more time to see my fam & friends and spend time with my wife "whom im flying home, shes sick" . I'm going to be on leave, and i'll have a couple weeks before i get shipped of to Korea. I figured i'd ride to Memphis, TN and stay the night and get up early and attempt to ride the rest.

pottsy 08-05-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by HaggardSoldier (Post 8659232)
I'm going to TRY and do 600 a day, because i don't have much time & i'd like to do 2 hard days of riding and have more time to see my fam & friends and spend time with my wife "whom im flying home, shes sick" . I'm going to be on leave, and i'll have a couple weeks before i get shipped of to Korea. I figured i'd ride to Memphis, TN and stay the night and get up early and attempt to ride the rest.

600 a day for multiple days is tough. I have gone from NC to Fayetteville Ar once. I did about 520 miles a day, and it was pretty tiring.

10ring 08-05-2011 02:24 PM

Since it's around 107°F or higher every day in Oklahoma and it stretches east, you might consider a hydration vest. Harley-Davidson World has them in stock and this weekend is a no-tax holiday. If you get one, be sure to also take along a large freezer bag. This can be filled with water and the vest immersed for recharging. They really work in this weather.
Hope you have a good trip!

sm0kediver 08-05-2011 02:32 PM

FF or 3/4 with a tinted shield. Long sleeve t-shirt or some SPF 50. What they said: hydrate! I love my Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover. It keeps my britches dry on long hot days and it's nice to walk into a restaurant in dry pants. If you need a break, take a break.

Dan28 08-05-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by HaggardSoldier (Post 8659163)
So i'm about to go on my first long ride from Oklahoma to North Carolina. I've changed all the fluids, got some new tires since the old ones were wearing pretty close. What advice do you guys have? I've been ridin' a long time, but just within a state or two. Just wonder what you would suggest for a guy thats going to make a 1300 mile ride?

What model bike are you gonna be on? Some bikes are more comfortable than others.

Ridewva 08-05-2011 04:00 PM

As other's said it's going to be hot so consider leave leaving early, like when it's still dark. Take a long break in the hottest part of the day, you'll still have time to do 600 miles. Drink lots of water. At bathroom stops I wet my shirt from just above the waist up, just hold it under the sink. This along with a mesh jacket works well for me. Sun screen for any exposed skin. If you don't normally use ear plugs now would be a good time to start. Just get a handfull of those foam ones.

DK Custom 08-05-2011 04:01 PM

Get a good rest before leaving out. Drink way more fluids than you think you need. Keep the sun off your skin. Since it is gonna be so hot during your trip, use a neck wrap and keep it wet. Find a comfortable pace and maintain it. Take however many mini-breaks you need to stay fresh...it can be a fun ride or a grind....better to have a little longer day and have fun than to cut an hour off the day but be stressed. Don't know what bike you are on, or how comfortable your seat is...but a great (and quick) fix for an uncomfortable seat is an AirHawk.

Have fun!

Kevin
HDForums Scavenger Hunt Contest

BIGSTEVEX3 08-05-2011 04:56 PM

Dont take women if you need to make time.