Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Banning Loud Pipes? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/677373-banning-loud-pipes.html)

MrMojo 08-15-2011 08:52 AM

Banning Loud Pipes?

I saw an editorial, link below, supporting legislation to require exhausts to conform to EPA standards of 84 decibels. If you visit NH for bike week or just to enjoy the scenic rides, perhaps it is worth politely contacting the state representative to discuss if this would alter your plans to visit NH and pump money into the local economy.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/273681/time-to-muffle-loud-motorcycle-pipes?CSAuthResp=1313415399%3A9qgal9ljlmelldg0avc1 mjfvr6%3ACSUserId|CSGroupId%3Aapproved%3A4E3AFC402 7AF028C9FF93C65B8789A41&CSUserId=94&CSGroupId=1

AnotherBlackSG 08-15-2011 09:05 AM

So... you're complaining about the noise laws/ordinances?? I applaud them! I don't know if they save lives or not (waiting for proof of that), but I DO know that I HATE riding next to someone with loud pipes. I can only imagine how annoying it is to the general public.

Nevar 08-15-2011 09:23 AM

Nothing more than a money maker.
Lawn mowers,weed whackers,snow blowers, snow mobiles, chain saws, some other power tools, and a lot of others are Louder than most bikes
Lets ban them too

XARAN 08-15-2011 09:26 AM

Im running V & H pipes with quiet baffels and usually try not to "rev it up" in residential areas etc. I think the loud pipe thing can be a big problem for us in the future if riders dont use common sense and take it easy in populated areas so you dont piss off the neighbors otherwise we will lose accross the board. California already passed a law for 2013 and on no exhaust changes that are not original manafacturer and EPA approved, no aftermarket pies, usually the rest of the country follows along in the next couple of years.

Cowboy Rob 08-15-2011 09:38 AM

Oh no,I think the can of worms has been opened.

NoBoldRider 08-15-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG (Post 8697722)
So... you're complaining about the noise laws/ordinances?? I applaud them! I don't know if they save lives or not (waiting for proof of that), but I DO know that I HATE riding next to someone with loud pipes. I can only imagine how annoying it is to the general public.

I agree to a certain extent as far as the straight pipe crowd is concerned, but do you really want laws thet might prevent you from replacing your Harley pipes with an aftermarket pipe, no matter how quiet? That is the path some states are going.

Do you have stock pipes? Very few do.

cameraboy 08-15-2011 10:20 AM

think the loud pipe thing can be a big problem for us in the future if riders dont use common sense and take it easy in populated areas so you dont piss off the neighbors otherwise we will lose accross the board.
I agree

do you really want laws thet might prevent you from replacing your Harley pipes with an aftermarket pipe, no matter how quiet?
I don't think this law does that. I think that they can, and will, make an aftermarket pipe that sounds better and exhales freer, but is not overly loud.

kkiley 08-15-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG (Post 8697722)

So you aren't part of the general public? And have to imagine what it sounds like when a Harley rides by with an aftermarket exhaust????? Might be time to step outside and get some air....

leicafish 08-15-2011 10:57 AM

The whole sad thing is we as a community brought this upon ourselves.

All it take is for the idiots with loud pipes to stay off the throttle through town and neighborhoods. That simple.

kzoo 08-15-2011 11:01 AM

I have the old style SE II's (race only) and they are loud - IF I want them to be. I can use the next higher gear and have to in a couple of small burgs to keep from getting stopped. No harm! Out in the country or on the expressway...I dont mind letting the eagles scream a bit!