General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying With Genuine Parts Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oops didnt mean to get peeps all wound up over this lol.

But great to see opinions either way. Decoratives is what I am finding more attractive for after market....still feel like cheating the bike if I go away from genuine or endorsed.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,841 Likes on 17,456 Posts

Since they haven't carried a part for mine in over 25 yrs that a non starter for me .

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting post. I suppose my perspective is a bit different. I feel like I'm cheating myself if I go with an inferior part just because it's HD. A couple of the guys I ride with feel just like you. That's what makes a horse race.

Originally Posted by Josewales
Oops didnt mean to get peeps all wound up over this lol.

But great to see opinions either way. Decoratives is what I am finding more attractive for after market....still feel like cheating the bike if I go away from genuine or endorsed.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

genuine hd means made in china. basically, you need to ask yourself if you would rather have chinese or mexican crap.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stop making deals with government slave labor...er China. And maybe we wouldn't be in this mess:P...especially you folks down south. Meh lives in Canada.

I get it. When I go into Walmart, I do look at 'made ins' and try to pick any other country if I had a choice.

More I think about it now, I shouldnt feel guilty staring at a JP catalog....especially after majority here has strong views on this and make a good point.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 958 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
In many cases, genuine HD parts just plain SUCK while costing 2-3x more than aftermarket items. I was very disappointed to find that my two latest HD additions - a chrome dash extension and chrome rear turn signal trim rings - were actually chromed PLASTIC and of course made in (where else?) Taiwan or China.

My experiences have been just the opposite. Everything I've bought that was *not* genuine HD, has been garbage. That's not to say though that if I saw a 'made in taiwan' sticker on a part I would still get it, it's just that I haven't...yet...and hopefully won't.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If the HD part is better for my purpose, I'll pay the premium price. Otherwise I look for the best quality aftermarket and shop around for the best price.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
If the HD part is better for my purpose, I'll pay the premium price. Otherwise I look for the best quality aftermarket and shop around for the best price.
That's it in a nutshell. I have had crap aftermarket parts and crap HD parts. Just depends on the individual part.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,841 Likes on 17,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
That's it in a nutshell. I have had crap aftermarket parts and crap HD parts. Just depends on the individual part.
That's it in a nutshell is right , the moco isn't always pushing top shelf goods . I used to take a micrometer with me to the dealers part counter when I did a lifter change in the early evo's just to make sure they where all the same OD , went the whole bin one day and only got 3 that matched brand new and wrapped OEM . Same with the rear pulleys had several way out of round out of the dealer package . Never assume it's right always check don't care where it comes from .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbergloff
I don't think many people buy all genuine parts. How many of us have genuine HD exhaust? I've got several 3rd party parts on mine. Hooker, Burly... I don't even remember who custom made my cables.
The only 3 accessories on my '09 Ultra Classic that's not Harley-Davidson is the Corbin seat, Hogtune tweeter and the Clear-View windshield. I thinking about narrowing it down to only 2.

Quick Reply: Staying With Genuine Parts Or Not?