General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Lower Forks are Pitted -- Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: My Lower Forks are Pitted -- Why?

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

You could do what Grunt said or just ride it.Vehicles that are in the salt air a lot will have corrosion problems.
Only the forks have this problem??Wonder if it could be from debris...sand and rocks?
If it was the salt air,I think signs of corrosion would show up the chrome and bare aluminum.
its a lovely combination of all the above.[:@] your options? see grunts post. I'm going to re polish mine. someone put a good thread on polishing lower fork sliders in DIY forumn. I would upgrade to chrome sliders but the fork brace I have (kur) won't fit them (from another thread). something I didn't know till after receipt.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: grunt

It is the ocean riding, and while chrome would help, it too would have problems eventually. Salt destroys anything metal. You could sand them down, polish them, and then clear coat them. But you will have to repeat that every few years. Powder coat would probably help, but then you would have to live with a color.

There is clear powder coat. I recently saw a set of clear powder coated polished aluminum motorcycle wheels getting ready to go on a bike at a buddies performance shop.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I'd agree with the salt.

Yesterday I went for a ride along A1A here in Florida (nice open coastal run withing view of the ocean for hours). During the ride, the salt air was so thick my windshield, mirrors, goggles etc picked up a brine "haze". After I help the wife put up the Christmas tree I get to spend a couple hours cleaning the bike. My forks and stuff are pitted too from this. Just keep up with it as best as you can and realize because it's a bike that actually gets rode (not trailered, covered, stored or taken out once every 12 days) it's going to have "character".

Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Eyespy
It is the ocean riding, and while chrome would help, it too would have problems eventually. Salt destroys anything metal. You could sand them down, polish them, and then clear coat them. But you will have to repeat that every few years. Powder coat would probably help, but then you would have to live with a color.
There is clear powder coat. I recently saw a set of clear powder coated polished aluminum motorcycle wheels getting ready to go on a bike at a buddies performance shop.
That's good to know. I'd use that on wheels and forks in the iffy climates.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Fastlane
Tourer

When I ride near the ocean and do not have time to wash the bike I rinse it down with a Mister Clean water filter. My regular house water spots the bike.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:06 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this out....The chrome is peeling off my bag guards, the aluminum fork legs are corroded in spite of my fanatical polishing, the bolts heads are all corroded as well. the engine cases are stained, and the natural finish on the stock wheels are trashed as well. I have a bare spot in the paint on the underside of my steering head the size of a 50 cent piece that has turned to rust. My FLHT has turned to a '50 footer' and all in the first year of ownership! The cause? having been caught in the rain a few times too many. The dealer response? NORMAL! It is the little things such as quality anodizing of the bolts, proper protective coatings for the wheels and engine cases, quality plating on the bits that are chrome. I want to customize my bike because I want to, not because I have to. I recently bought a 94 BMW R1100RS with 46k miles on it. After spending a full saturday stripping the bike down, servicing and cleaning it, I couldn't help but be impressed with the overall condition of the bike. All my friends and coworkers who saw it thought it was new! They couldn't believe it was 12 years old. I've had 3 HD's and a Buell since 92 along with several Brand X and I have loved them all for their character. I love my HD but doubt I will buy another because I no longer feel I am getting what I paid for. Sorry guys...

Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: Eyespy
That's good to know. I'd use that on wheels and forks in the iffy climates.

I agree, that would be a good application for it. Should hold up better that way.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:48 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ive used a paste/wax /cleaner called
Mothers metal +aluminum polish on my alminum,,
works pretty good

Old 11-25-2006, 06:02 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It is definetly the salt air. I have chromed lowers, but try to wipe them down every time I ride(not possible) or as often as I think about it. I live about a mile from the ocean. Oh well, the price I pay for living in paradise. I also try to wipe down all chrome parts at least 1 x a month or clean it with some sort of polish or cleaner. Try some metal polish on your fork lowers. I used Flitz metal polish, but I dunno if that will work on non chromed lowers. It should be okay if you do that. The other thing I do is use some sort of corrosion protection to protect if from the salt air. Try S100 corrosion protection maybe...