General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn vs. Custom Dynamics LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Kuryakyn vs. Custom Dynamics LEDs

I am looking at adding LEDs to the rear of my 2012 RGC to get more attention. I personally saw the new Kuryakyn LED's yesterday at a dealer and they are awesome. My question is are they worth the money over Custom Dynamics' LEDs? The Kury come complete with bezel and lense where the CD are just circuits you add to your OEM beze and lens. Just looking for some input from you guys who maybe have had or have seen both. Thanks Bryan

Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I've not been overly impressed with the Kuryakyn products I've seen lately. Are you looking to do accent lights? Or replace your tail lights and turn signals?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The Kuryakyn controllers are crap.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Custom Dynamics on the back. I once had an element die and they replaced it without any hassle whatsoever. I recommend their stuff.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Custom Dynamics Magic Flex strips on my bike. They are the brightest LED's I've ever seen on a bike. A good friend of mine installed em and is a dealer. He's had several guys at local bike nights hire him to replace their Kuryakyn lights with custom dynamics lights becase they're so much brighter and produce a clearer light. The Kuryakyn lights look hazy to me. The Custom Dynamics lights also have a lifetime warranty. Plus they're cheaper than the Kuryakyn Lights. Lets see...brighter, cheaper, lifteime warranty. Makes good sense to me.

Below is a picture of my bike with Custom Dynamics lights. It's not the best picture ever because it was taken with a cell phone but you can at least get an idea. The lights are bright as hell and grab attention everywhere I go. I plan on adding them under the battery box and all the way to the back of the bike as soon as I get the $$$. Also, the CD turn signals and brake lights are some of the brightest I've ever seen. I plan on adding those eventually too.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

I've seen the Kurys on another Street Glide, and I have the CDs on my Street Glide, so it's comparing apples to apples. The Kurys have a little more flash to them as far as visual impact. As you said, the CDs are just plug-ins. But the CDs hands-down put out more light than the Kurys. I've had biker friends follow my SG and even though it only has the two bullet brake lights and no center taillight, they've said that they can really see me. Even from more than a 1/4 mile back.

Get the CD Genesis II lights for the front. They stay on at full brightness all the time and flash off and on with the turn signals. Once again, very bright lights.

One of my LEDs was defective when I got it. I called CD and they shipped out a new one the next day, along with a post-paid envelope to ship the defective light back. Their customer service is first rate.

My indy will sell me Kury products at a nice discount, but I'm still going to to with Custom Dynamics when I start modding my new-to-me Heritage. The CD lights will be the first mod.

Last edited by JonW; 10-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Martimus
Personally I've not been overly impressed with the Kuryakyn products I've seen lately. Are you looking to do accent lights? Or replace your tail lights and turn signals?
Sorry guys I guess I left out, I want to replace my turn signals front and rear for better visibility. My 2012 RGC does not have the traditional break light and just want to be seen a little better is all. Bryan

Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the CD turn signal LEDs front and rear. Very bright! I had two LEDs burn out in a front signal and CD replaced with no hassle. Life time warranty.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Kuryakyn led's. Very happy with them. Did you know that there is a small ring of light where the unit snaps in to the housing, that can be seen from the side? Just a little bonus that adds to your visibility.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Another happy CD customer, here! Have their dynamic 3-way clusters inside my turn signal housings and they are awesome. Damn fine product!

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn vs. Custom Dynamics LEDs