General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley branded HJC helmet...warning!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Harley branded HJC helmet...warning!

I bought this 3/4 helemt with full face shield to use as my winter bash hat beginning of last winter, and as far as 3/4 helmets go it's been quite good.

However, last Friday as a buddy and I rode down to Locarno to see a mates band, I turned my head to look behind my left before changing lanes, wind got under the shield, flipped it up and tore it completely off!!
Buddy behind me said it sailed about 20 feet into the air before landing at the side of the highway. Just happy it didnt hit my buddy or bounce off a cagers hood.

It tore the whole shield mounting mechanism off the right side. You cant see from the pic but the 2 large screws that secure the mounting mechanism literally tore out of the shell. Luckily i had my goggles in the saddle bag so it wasnt a big drama.
Anyone who has one of these, might be worth the 2 mins to check your shield mount screws are secure.

Naturally HD laughed at me when I inquired about a warranty replacement. Gonna contact HJC to see if they will do the right thing as the helmet is barely a year old...

Attached Thumbnails Harley branded HJC helmet...warning!-busted-helmet.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM
gred-04
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this will happen with most quick-change style shields.

You must have tilted your head as well when turning and the wind
got underneath it.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

i think you're right in that there is always a risk you might lose the shield, but i would never have suspected the mounting mechanism screws being torn out of the shell. Guess it shows how well the shield attaches to the mount.

Rickl
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had a HJC 3/4 quick change for 5 years now without one issue. I think it's a great helmet in that I change as the weather dictates. I think an inquiry to HJC may resolve your issue based on the pictures as it looks as though the retaining nuts are missing in the helmet. Hopefully they will treat you well.

CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey, thanks for the heads up...I have the same helmet, gonna have to check it.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

apart from this one issue, I've been really happy with the helmet. I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the same model, but i'll be regularly checking the mounts next time round.
I think maybe the screws may have backed out a little, just enough to weaken their hold on the shell. The shield being flipped up violently by 60 mph wind probably added the last bit of leverage to make the mount part company with the shell.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds like one of those fluky things. I have the same helmet, and half the time I'm riding, I have the shield up. I know I have a windshield, but still, it catches quite a bit of wind when it's flipped up. I actually even dropped it one day and it landed face down on the closed face shield on the pavement. Bounced pretty good too. One small scratch is all it got. You'd think if there was an issue, it would have popped both screws out then.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

hjc is crap i had one many years ago............just buy yourself a shoe-i and call it a day......

Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know which one you have, but I've had the Ultra-Jet for five years now with no issues. It's my favorite, only , helmet.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the HJC IS-2 and love it. It's by far my favority helmet I've ever owned. Never had a problem with the shield, but I'm gonna check it out & make sure everything is sucure now.

Quick Reply: Harley branded HJC helmet...warning!