General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I joined the "crash" club today... :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM
cobra2411
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I joined the "crash" club today... :(

Well joined the crash club today... Was in the city, just started out crossing an intersection and a woman making a left, who was stopped, just darted out in front of me. I had to climb on the brakes hard and when I did the front end locked and washed out. She of course took off.

Gear took a some damage and so did the bike. Worst part on me is when the bars rotated back in the risers and jammed my right hand/thumb. They're Wild1 Chubby Baby Apes... They weren't bending... Bike went down on the left side BTW and it's my right hand that's hurt so that's the only thing I can think of. Broke/dented the headlight, headlight bucket and left rear turn signal and scuffed up the clutch lever in a two spots, the left mirror and the primary cover/derby cover.

Other then the jammed up hand and a smaller than a dime sized road raspberry on my left elbow I'm fine. Thankfully it was at 10mph and not 40...

Now for the fun part, the woman took off and the police didn't want to come out... That's Philly for you. I insisted and when they did show up they said it wasn't an accident because she didn't make contact and they didn't want to file a report or talk to witnesses... Then they did take a report they basically said I fell down.

I've got the names and numbers of two witnesses who saw it, one of which got the car description and license plate. Guess I'll talk to the insurance company and see what they say.

Big number one is that I'm OK and the bonus is the bike looks pretty good too. My buddy drove it and said it seemed fine but I still would like someone to look at it and as long as there's no hidden damage I bet it's less then $1,000.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. you can fix the bike...glad you're pretty much OK.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Glad you are here to type this. Sucks how that chick got away though.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
cobra2411
Intermediate

Mswmn, are those factory colors on the bike in your sig? I'm kind of thinking of changing the colors on my Springer.

Worst part is that by the way she cut diagonal across you know she was trying to make the turn before I got there so she saw me. And she took off anyway.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Glad you are ok, don't worry her day will come.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Big Daddy 7042
Tourer

Dude super lucky your still here to tell the story. A friend of mine t-boned a car in his subdivision at 15mph, he died 9 years later. Since the accident he was confined to a wheel chair and in a complete vegetative state, I guess it was just his time and he landed wrong. Either way, you don't have to be going fast, to get really hurt.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 PM
mswmn
Road Master

Originally Posted by cobra2411
Mswmn, are those factory colors on the bike in your sig? I'm kind of thinking of changing the colors on my Springer.

Worst part is that by the way she cut diagonal across you know she was trying to make the turn before I got there so she saw me. And she took off anyway.
Yes...Merlot Sunglo/Cherry Red.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
cobra2411
Intermediate

Thanks Big Daddy. Not sure if that make me feel better or not.

Sorry to hear about your friend though. Shoot me in the head and say I came too long enough to clean my guns.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like almost the same thing as what happened to me. I locked the front end up and went down. Along with a couple of gashes and road rash I had a sprained thumb from the bars jamming it. Glad your ok. My bike has been in the shop for almost 5 weeks. Sucks.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're mostly okay and the bike sounds like it's an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Well I joined the "crash" club today... :(