General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XTRActive Transition lenses

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered them, but let my od talk me out of them. I took her advice and bought a nice pair of fossil wrap around polaroids with progressive for my up close vision.
I have regular transitions that I wear very little during day time riding/driving.
The nice thing about the polaroid is the wrap-around style, no sunlight gets in from the sides, everything is in focus and easily allows quick glance at the instruments without jockeying head around to focus. I rank them as important as a good helmet.
I believe the model is called darren s, but not sure.
When it's time to get new prescription I will go this route again.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Transitions XtrAcive lenses in Wiley X Jake Sunglasses | Flickr - Photo Sharing! by Fastfwd01, on Flickr

Got mine in this week and they seem to work really well. It's a little bright in this room (floor to ceiling windows in my office), but they seem to generally get pretty clear and very dark outside.

Looking forward to riding with them this weekend and hopefullly get out at night some too and check out how well they work at night.
Do those frames have the removable seal to help block wind? If they do let us know how that works.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ropes
Do those frames have the removable seal to help block wind? If they do let us know how that works.

Oh, yeah, I have had this pair in regular sunglasses that I intendedto get lenses for since last year and another pair before that with them since around ’08. The foam works very well.

This pair of glasses is not accepting the foam inserts well though – I will say that. Neither theones that came with them nor the ones from my old pair and it sort of sucks,but I am thinking they might mold with a little heat. I might check around first and see if I can find this issue.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Transitions XtrAcive lenses in Wiley X Jake Sunglasses | Flickr - Photo Sharing! by Fastfwd01, on Flickr

Got mine in this week and they seem to work really well. It's a little bright in this room (floor to ceiling windows in my office), but they seem to generally get pretty clear and very dark outside.

Looking forward to riding with them this weekend and hopefullly get out at night some too and check out how well they work at night.
My concern with these new XTRActive Transition lenses is that they would be too dark at night, but they look totally clear in the pic you uploaded. Keep us updated, I am very interested in hearing how you like them.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
My concern with these new XTRActive Transition lenses is that they would be too dark at night, but they look totally clear in the pic you uploaded. Keep us updated, I am very interested in hearing how you like them.
Had the opportunity to ride a bit Saturday night and they worked like a charm for me (in the city). Had an acquaintance of mine comment at a rally over the weekend that I needed to get some darker sunglasses while we were inside the bar LOL (she’s a little on the ditzy side).

They do get dark. Very dark. I took a few pics in the sunlight, but I’m not sure they really prove anything other than they areas dark as any sunglasses you might find in the sunlight.

I suppose a better test would be riding out in the countryside with only the headlight to see if they impede vision, but I’m guessing I wouldn’t think so. I’ve suffered with some pretty lame ‘transition’ lenses that were stuck half way and my good ones that were left on the dash on a relatively cool day, but in the sunlight – destroyed them more or less. They crystalized for a lack of better terminology. Don’t ever do that btw. Never were totally clear again for that matter.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
loxahatcheeFatBoy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up some wrapped, strapped, and foam padded riding goggles that has pop-out lens from a local bike shop. The goggles came with three lens shades.

I took them to my eye doc and he sent them to his lab to make prescription transitions for me. The goggles are cheap like 20 bucks so I picked up two pair so I have a parts back-up if needed just pop in my lens when the time comes. They work great day and night.

Last edited by loxahatcheeFatBoy; 04-08-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by loxahatcheeFatBoy
I picked up some wrapped, strapped, and foam padded riding goggles that has pop-out lens from a local bike shop. The goggles came with three lens shades.

I took them to my eye doc and he sent them to his lab to make prescription transitions for me. The goggles are cheap like 20 bucks so I picked up two pair so I have a parts back-up if needed just pop in my lens when the time comes. They work great day and night.
What's the script transition lenses going to cost? Any insurance coverage?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

I can tell you that prescription lenses for me in XTRActive are going to cost around $350 (plus frames). astigmatism, progressive bifocal, xtractive transition, and anti reflective coating.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
What's the script transition lenses going to cost? Any insurance coverage?
It probably depends on your coverage. I got lucky this time around and found somebody that takes my insurance AND was a dealer for WileyX. Rare! They were able to look up my coverage and tell me exactly what would be covered and what would cost me extra.

I’ll just say that I was happy to pay the copay. They nailed my insurance pretty hard. I haven’t been utilizing it fully every year though. I finally got what I was paying to have insurance for.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I have to give props to SportRx. I have a very difficult prescription with heavy astigmatism that's gotten worse the past 6-7 years. Having astigmatism has inherent problems. My vision can now not be corrected to 20/20. I wanted sunglasses that would have a seal to block out the wind. There are very few glasses that would fit my prescription.

I found one at SportRx that I hoped would suit my needs. Plus they had interchangeable lenses for day and night riding. When I received them I was hopeful. Unfortunately when I wore them they distorted badly when I would move my head. The issue was the curved lenses. Which, with astigmatism, couldn't correct. SportRx was great and took them back for a full refund.

I bring that up because if you do order the Transitions from them, they are great to work with. I can not wear glasses with even the slightest tint in them for night driving/riding. So those transitions would be out for me.

Quick Reply: XTRActive Transition lenses