General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XTRActive Transition lenses

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM
2ropes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SportRX is who I am working with, they are send me 3 different frames to try that my prescription should work in.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM
2ropes
Road Captain
Default XTRActive update

Well been wearing these WileyX Airrage frames with prescription lenses awhile now and figured I would give a short update.

No problem with the XTRActive at all and they are noticeably better then regular transition lenses. No issues inside or at night with them, they seem to clear up about 100%. You will still have the lag time though when transitioning from sunlight to inside which is no different from the standard transition lens. These lenses are still not as dark as dedicated sunglasses could be made.

Guess I'll give a little update on the WileyX Airrage too while I'm at it. I have a small face and they fit well and do not let air or sunlight come in around them with the foam insert installed. Although we haven't had much real hot humid weather I have experienced some fogging while wearing them with the foam insert while sitting still. I'll give another update on this sometime this summer. So far I would give them a thumbs up when riding but with my prescription I don't like to wear them for other then riding just because of the look. Since they are small the lenses are small too and with my prescription the filed of vision is narrow. My prescription is pretty large and in order to get lenses into this style frame it looks like they make the lens then grind the outside edge down to the proper thickness to fit inside the frame. Due to that on the outside edges the step from the prescription lens to the portion of the lens that inserts into the frame is large and noticeable when the lenses are clear. Since this is how they have to make the lens to insert them into this frame you also loose some useable lens surface which goes back to field of vision comment above. In order to install into the frame the ground down portion of the lens needs to have clearance around the inside of the frame so on my pair there is probably about 1/8" of additional ground down lens around the inside of the frame. I'll try to take a photo and post so you can see what I am talking about.

Overall still happy with my purchase.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

Another quick update since I have rode through a good deal of the humid weather now. Pretty much no problem with the Airrage frames and I find that they sit close enough that I have not used the foam insert on them. Maybe when the weather starts cooling down I'll find use for the foam insert on these frames.

The Xtractive lenses are great too but as I stated before they do not get as dark as dedicated sun glasses however they are dark enough that I can tolerate the early morning or late afternoon low sun in my eyes. I could not tolerate the sun wearing my standard glasses with normal transition lenses.