General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baggers vs. Softails...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:25 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Baggers vs. Softails...

I put some miles back to back on my softail and then a Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide. I have had some conversations going back and forth between Touring and Softail guys, and having never ridden a real tourer, I couldn’t, until today bring my own experience to the discussion.

Yes, the tourers ride well. But not “so much” better than the Softail. The Screamin Eagle wails – until about 40 mph, when the 800lbs and the wind catches all that frontal area and even the 103 with Bub’s becomes anemic. Oh, and the big fairing makes the tourer move much more in headwinds.

I’m 6’2” in my riding boots, and I find the standard tourer seating, particularly the boards, too close. Also, my size 13 boots simply do not fit easily in with the shifter and brake. And I’ve ridden various softails with the boards and didn’t feel anywhere nears as uncomfortable. I also find that with the lower fairings, my legs are spread way far out on the highway pegs. I like the position of where my legs are on Dyna or Softail highway pegs much better. You are much less spread eagle.

I’ll give you that the rubber mounted motor doesn’t vibrate as much as my Softail when I wind it out (heck, I do that, I can’t even see out the mirrors). But it vibrates way more at idle AND I feel like I don’t feel a light vibration at 55mph, but I do feel a solid piston vibration that’s solid enough to get through the rubber mounts.

The bagger handles well. But any neutral handling and shorter wheelbase advantages the tourer may have simply doesn’t make up for the extra 150lbs of weigh mounted high up on the bike. I noticed that my buddy who rides this bike tends to ride up my driveway quickly while I can walk my Softail up at virtually any speed. Well, now I know why. With all the weight, it’s much harder to walk this bike just off the clutch. The high up weight tends to want to lean one way or the other. And you can say “you’re not a good enough rider then..” and I’ll tell you that no matter how good I get at walking a bagger slowly, I’ll be better on a Softail or Dyna because the (lesser) weight is closer to the ground.

Oh, a note on temps. First time I’ve ever ridden a bike with a full fairing. Riding with a fairing makes up for like 12 degrees in temp. You freeze on a Softail without a windshield at about 45. I was riding the SE at 40 degrees and it was no problem. I think I could go down into the mid-thirties on the SE.

I love having the storage space of the tourpak, but it’s just not worth the extra weight to me. I’m still willing to try a RK with less weight and less high up, but I think I’m gonna simply find a way to strap a nice sized bag and a temporary windshield to my Deuce and gain some maneuverability and comfort in low temps and have the best of both worlds. At the worst, I’ll move to a Deluxe. No batwings for me…

Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baggers vs. Softails...

Excellent comparison. Thanks. I have been wondering (lusting?) about a bagger, but you just reminded me of all the reason I love my Deluxe.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:02 PM
HD Bones
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't I just have em both???

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having ridden both bikes, I have to say that I love the bagger for daily commuting and long distance rides. However, if you are talking about a leisurely ride on the weekend or even a three day round trip the Softail wins hands down for the sheer fun factor. Actually, I won't limit it to Softail. Any of the non-bagger type of bikes increase the thrill of the ride since you are more in the elements.

It basically all boils down to the same answer I give to everyone that asks what type of bike they should buy. Buy the bike that gives you the performance you want most of the time.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member

I've had 'em all. I'll take my Ultra over a softail anyday ... 'cept maybe for bar hopping.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

After several softails , a heritage and a fatboy , I have to say the bagger I currently own handles way better than the softails. After years of riding the softails it will take ya a few days of riding to get used to it . But once you do there is no difference , bagger hands down . I am by no means bashing softails {I think they are some of the best looking bikes out there} but if you want to do long rides , plus carry alot more ,plus the radio makes me wonder how I got by without it , I got sick of bringing only what I could fit in my pockets. I would love to get a street bob for a 2nd bike but cant swing it right now.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:34 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I've ridden both and choose to own a bagger, to me it just feels good and fits like a glove. My dad used to own a Heritage and now rides a 06 Ultra like I do. He liked the looks of the Heritage but prefers the extra hauling capacity and room on the Ultra. I never have to give it much thought about how fast or slow I manuver my Ultra, I can manuver slow enough you could count the spokes on my rims and be comfortable doing it. I'm thining about a 2nd bike to pot around with, it will be either a Roadking or a Electraglide.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: hd2007

After several softails , a heritage and a fatboy , I have to say the bagger I currently own handles way better than the softails. After years of riding the softails it will take ya a few days of riding to get used to it . But once you do there is no difference , bagger hands down . I am by no means bashing softails {I think they are some of the best looking bikes out there} but if you want to do long rides , plus carry alot more ,plus the radio makes me wonder how I got by without it , I got sick of bringing only what I could fit in my pockets. I would love to get a street bob for a 2nd bike but cant swing it right now.
Ya see, I'll buy the baggers carry's more. I'll buy they're better for long distance rides. I'm not buying they handle better. You bagger guys can go on and on. It makes no sense - 150lb penalty on the smaller softails, lack of ground clearance and yet the bagger crowd saids "handles better". It seems fashionable to pick on softy's cause of the suspension. But softy's and Dyna's handle better than big old baggers. Even if handling was better - softails would more than make up for it in being much more nimble, quicker to move from a left turn to a right. After having spend some seat time on a bagger, I'm just not buying it anymore. Period.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:19 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are both good. I like my Deuce, because it is nimbel and it fits me like a glove. My bagger is great for trips, but the stock seat just plain sucks if you are taller than 5-5

Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

ORIGINAL: hd2007

Ya see, I'll buy the baggers carry's more. I'll buy they're better for long distance rides. I'm not buying they handle better. You bagger guys can go on and on. It makes no sense - 150lb penalty on the smaller softails, lack of ground clearance and yet the bagger crowd saids "handles better". It seems fashionable to pick on softy's cause of the suspension. But softy's and Dyna's handle better than big old baggers. Even if handling was better - softails would more than make up for it in being much more nimble, quicker to move from a left turn to a right. After having spend some seat time on a bagger, I'm just not buying it anymore. Period.

lucky for you HD makes other models, glad youre happy...my bagger ROCKS...it will outperform your softail in ANY condition or test...period

Quick Reply: Baggers vs. Softails...