General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Need to soften up a leather jacket? Leather jackets are really stiff when new or can become stiff after being stored. There are a lot of different ways to soften up leather and everyone has their own technique. The most popular suggestions seem to be:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are doing.
        Print Wikipost

Any way to soften up a leather jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM
        judgedelta
        Road Master
        Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

No one has mentioned in this ancient thread that if your jacket is riding up, unzip it from the bottom, that's what the two-way zipper is for. Not everyone has the same length torso and when you bend over the jacket will ride up and either go for the throat or give you the "Dolly Parton" look. I bought a really nice Fox Creek jacket from one of the guys on here and it didn't have a 2-way zipper. Sent it back to F.C. and they fixed it right up and back chop-chop. The weight of a good jacket is like the weight of a good sidearm; it is more comforting than comfortable.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM
        GARY DYER
        Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Not all leather jackets have 2 zippers.
        My first real leather jacket was the traditional classic biker jacket with all the zippers. I bought it used from my brother - n - law for $25. The next leather jacket I bought new (Hein Gericke) was back in 1989. Still wear it. I tried a few new H-D jackets but way too stiff. I'll keep this H-G jacket until my departure from mother earth. It's still not very pliable, but I can live with it. I bought a BMG CHALLANGER textile 3/4 length jacket a few years ago that is 3 times warmer then my leather jacket, but a bit more cumbersome. It is waterproof, has tons of armor, lots of adjustable straps and many pockets with pockets inside of pockets. The Brits really know how to make a 4 season motorcycle jacket. If I wear that jacket, I don't need my heated liner. It's just a little bit more pliable then the leather jacket.....and it does have a top/bottom zipper.

I don't think you really want a "soft" leather motorcycle jacket. I would say Pliable is a better description.

I like this thread better then the oil threads.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 11-21-2017 at 08:55 AM.
        Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM
        Bart van der Meulen
        Road Master
        Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Weird, but extremely effective: pee on the jacket.. The ureum of the urine will soften the leather. In my region in the past the leather workers had to collect urine from their family in jars. They were paid extra per jar. This urine was added to the water to wash the cow skins to soften it. In my militairy conscription we peed in our leather booths, let it absorb overnight, dry the boots and put them on with thick woolen socks. At the end of the day the boots were extremely 'tailor made' and we could march 50-100 kms fully packed on these without any blisters..So, not so stupid as it sounds

Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM
        Qdog002
        Stellar HDF Member
        Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Would this work if I peed in my underwear too?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:02 AM
        GARY DYER
        Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

If you ever watched some shows on the history channel about medieval times. they use to have large tubs at the end of town for the residents to pour their pee into for the tanners and dyers to use.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
        RHPAW
        Seasoned HDF Member
        Received 13,759 Likes on 6,200 Posts

So that's NOT a complimentary self-serve lemonade stand?

Old 11-21-2017, 01:36 PM
        17streetglide
        Novice
        Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Tandy leather/ leather factory and get a jar of chap wax. can be used on leather chaps, vest, coats and boots. best way to use is to set it in a window with lots of sun or set it in front of a heat source to warm it up. then using a small applicator( piece of old t shirt is what I use ) rub it in, paying special attention to sewn/seam areas. bad side is it will leave a waxy feeling but it will make it more pliable and also make it water resistant. after awhile the waxy feeling does go away, then you know its time to re apply

Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM
        RK_Classic
        Seasoned HDF Member
        Received 5,573 Likes on 2,513 Posts

It took me a while to get mine broken in. I hang it in the garage after rides, drop it in the dirt, throw it in the floor of the truck, throw it over the bike seat after rides "for the heat", clean it with leather cleaner / conditioner, then start the process over, When these guys seems to say abuse it, they are not kidding, It just takes time.

rk classic.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:04 PM
        SoCalSoftailSlim
        Elite HDF Member
        Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

What kinda jacket is it? Brand.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 PM
        mrmarklin
        Road Warrior
        Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
        Cool

Originally Posted by Benway
        Got a nice leather jacket and the fit is great, but it's so stiff, when I sit on the bike, it damn near strangles me. I have to keep pulling it down and trying to tuck it. Anyway to soften these things up? (like drag it behind the bike for a hundred miles)
        You bought a cheap-*** jacket. Good quality ones don’t have this problem.

You’re on your own.

Quick Reply: Any way to soften up a leather jacket?