General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much is American ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Scouser1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much is American ?

After seeing that most of the parts I have bought over the past few years have "Made in China" on the packs?
How much of the bike is actually made in the USA?
Or is it just assembled in the USA?
Until a couple of weeks a go the mag wheels were made in Australia!
I seem to recall that Honda advertised that there Goldwing had more US made parts than a HD?
Scouser

Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Try using the search function...

Sorry that HD moved wheel manufacturing from Australia to China, but being a troll and trying to get everyone worked up about something that has been discussed to death is not the way to do it...

Why don't start an on line petition explaining to HD why moving wheel operations to China was the wrong choice instead trying to cause an uproar on a forum you have just joined... I would sign such a petion if it was propely done...

And, no Goldwings do not have more US content than Harley's. GW's aren't even built in the US anymore. Also why do you a supposed Aussie care how much US content is in a Honda?

Last edited by PFWiz; 12-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Scouser1
Cruiser

I am afraid if you think I am trolling, I am not, I honestly would like to know how much content is US made?
It doesn't bother me that the wheel manufacture has moved from Australia to China.
I just keep seeing other posts like the " What boots do you wear" and quite a number say they will only buy US made, yet I am sure quite a number of the parts on a HD are not US made,
The reference to the Honda was a few years ago and I am sure they used the fact that more parts were US made than the HD at the time?
Scouser

Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Well I'll bite, Harley Davidson and Indian are as "American" as any other American company with a very long linage. True a lot of the parts are manufactured elsewhere but just like apple and pumpkin pie they're still red white and blue American.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:59 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

dont confuse him with an aussie!, his name suggests he is from liverpool ,england???

Old 12-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Scouser1
Cruiser

Yes I am originally fromEngland but now I live in Oz.
One of the reasons I ask is that Australia produces nearly nothing now, it's all from overseas, China, India ect, I went looking for some Tshirts, I could not find any Oz made ones, I do actually prefer to buy USA made ones over the net, the quality is a hell of a lot better and they actually last longer than a month.
I try to get parts that are made in USA for my bike, last ones were the Lyndall brake pads, US made and are great.
But how many Original Equipment parts are made in the USA?
And with rumors of the Company setting up shop in India, it makes you think how long the Made in USA will last?
Funny how the Company wants to stop you buying their parts over the net, like banning dealers from using EBay, yet they get their parts from all over the world?
Scouser

Last edited by Scouser1; 12-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

We have laws here requiring US content to be listed on automobiles.

There is no such requirement for motorcycles. ( FTC)

I do know that Harley's 2010 Annual Report listed relationships with 300 "Direct Ship" vendors.

Last edited by Stiggy; 12-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

I think it is a fair question. If Dudes are gonna get in an "uproar" then that's on them.

Just like any company, outsourcing is a HUGE role for the Moco.

I do not know the answer statistic wise, but I would imagine that the majority of the components are outsourced.

Starting with your forks, that'll SHOWA you.

Last edited by Honey-Badger; 12-25-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,602 Likes on 5,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Scouser1
After seeing that most of the parts I have bought over the past few years have "Made in China" on the packs?
How much of the bike is actually made in the USA?
Or is it just assembled in the USA?
Until a couple of weeks a go the mag wheels were made in Australia!
I seem to recall that Honda advertised that there Goldwing had more US made parts than a HD?
Scouser
Honda build some GW here long enough to start people believing that then shut it down. They still allow that rumor to live but it aint so

Old 12-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Honda build some GW here long enough to start people believing that then shut it down. They still allow that rumor to live but it aint so
Sorry smitty, they built over 1,000,000 Goldwings in Marysville between 1979 and 2009. Production moved back to Japan for 2010. No secret.

Quick Reply: How Much is American ?