General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Beachside Rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 AM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

S100 is great stuff. Use it every time I clean my bike.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Living at the beach is ruff on a bike. All I have is a carport. I used to clean mine every week. not anymore.

Between the salt air we get sand that is windblown, and we ride thru it and the bike gets sandblasted. The front of the pegs, the front of the mirror stems,

Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I feel your pain. I don't think you can keep your bike clean enough if you are at the beach. Way back when I had a Triumph that was constantly beat to hell by the Florida surf, sun, and sand.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Living at the beach is ruff on a bike. All I have is a carport. I used to clean mine every week. not anymore.

Between the salt air we get sand that is windblown, and we ride thru it and the bike gets sandblasted. The front of the pegs, the front of the mirror stems,
Originally Posted by roadking2000
I feel your pain. I don't think you can keep your bike clean enough if you are at the beach. Way back when I had a Triumph that was constantly beat to hell by the Florida surf, sun, and sand.
Your guys are right , good house keeping and decent products wills slow it down but it will show with time living close to the water . Salt is bitch .

Old 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Dr.Death
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the same up here too. I was bored this morning and decided to detail mine. It was brand new in October and it already has rust starting on some of the welds! We have a lot of salt in the air here but my biggest problem is keeping it from condensating in the garage. I've tried everything from leaving a fan on it to a bail of hay. Sucks!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Clutch70
Road Master

I live on South Beach in Miami, I feel your pain bro.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same salty problem when I lived in Ocean Beach in San Diego. But hey, I lived in Ocean Beach in San Diego!! It sure beat the salt they poured on the roads in my previous digs in Minnesota! Sometimes you sacrifice a little to get a lot more.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
JoeN
Tourer

I don't know, but how about a light spray of WD 40 ? Going to be heading down there soon. I need to know how to keep the scoot nice and pertty

Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

I live on the Gulf of mexico near Clearwater, but my stuff's garaged,detailed often, and rarely out in the rain, so no rust here.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Man I'd wipe her down on the forward surfaces after every ride if you want to keep chrome on it an the alum from pitting if your less that 1 mile off the beach riding , not joking here . Salt air will tear a bike up fast and todays chrome isn't all that anymore it will start peeling on you in a year or two if don't stay after it .

I worked service for Indian MC when they were rolling here in the bay area and a lot of my customers came from San Fran & coastal towns . We get a afternoon sea fog almost daily around 4pm and the guys who only did the weekly wipe had major rust & pitting going on inside 6 months . We warrantied a lot but repeat offenders where SOL

Check this stuff out best stuff I've ever found for clean up or a fast detail , just shake and give the whole bike a good misting and then towel it off . No washing or water spots to deal with , chrome or paint and alum. gives a hell of a nice shine fast no work at all . 40 mins tops if I get **** doing mine and I have lots of shiny to get at . It's cheaper , faster and a better product than anything marketed at harley's .

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spra...5341455&sr=8-1
goin to give that a try. i live on the texas gulf coast, literally my front porch looks out over the ocean. and between that and the chemical plants i cant keep the bike rust free. one day and the inside of the chrome allen screws have rust in them. my bike sits outside on a covered porch for now, until i get the double doors installed in the spare room, then it lives in the house which should help i hope.

Quick Reply: Florida Beachside Rust