General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Beachside Rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Florida Beachside Rust

I have to say that living on the beach IN Daytona is nice BUT, the salt air plays absolute hell on my Harley.
I wash the bike twice a week and it has a good coat of wax on it once a month. I spent 3 hours cleaning and polishing yesterday.
I noticed a spark plug put in 2 months ago, have a look, what a little mess.
I think I will try the golf colored HD plug and see if it is better.

Attached Thumbnails Florida Beachside Rust-p1000533-copy.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're washing too much, and not riding enough. That's caused by water standing in the spark plug hole.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 AM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I get it too. Not that bad though. Do you blow dry after washing? I use a leaf blower to get all the excess water out.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,830 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Man I'd wipe her down on the forward surfaces after every ride if you want to keep chrome on it an the alum from pitting if your less that 1 mile off the beach riding , not joking here . Salt air will tear a bike up fast and todays chrome isn't all that anymore it will start peeling on you in a year or two if don't stay after it .

I worked service for Indian MC when they were rolling here in the bay area and a lot of my customers came from San Fran & coastal towns . We get a afternoon sea fog almost daily around 4pm and the guys who only did the weekly wipe had major rust & pitting going on inside 6 months . We warrantied a lot but repeat offenders where SOL

Check this stuff out best stuff I've ever found for clean up or a fast detail , just shake and give the whole bike a good misting and then towel it off . No washing or water spots to deal with , chrome or paint and alum. gives a hell of a nice shine fast no work at all . 40 mins tops if I get **** doing mine and I have lots of shiny to get at . It's cheaper , faster and a better product than anything marketed at harley's .

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spra...5341455&sr=8-1

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-31-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coat it w/ amilguard, or some other aviation grade liquid anti-corrosive preventitive. (just the outside metal part). Works for me.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 AM
rod18cdz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Man I'd wipe her down on the forward surfaces after every ride if you want to keep chrome on it an the alum from pitting if your less that 1 mile off the beach riding , not joking here . Salt air will tear a bike up fast and todays chrome isn't all that anymore it will start peeling on you in a year or two if don't stay after it .

I worked service for Indian MC when they were rolling here in the bay area and a lot of my customers came from San Fran & coastal towns . We get a afternoon sea fog almost daily around 4pm and the guys who only did the weekly wipe had major rust & pitting going on inside 6 months . We warrantied a lot but repeat offenders where SOL

Check this stuff out best stuff I've ever found for clean up or a fast detail , just shake and give the whole bike a good misting and then towel it off . No washing or water spots to deal with , chrome or paint and alum. gives a hell of a nice shine fast no work at all . 40 mins tops if I get **** doing mine and I have lots of shiny to get at . It's cheaper , faster and a better product than anything marketed at harley's .

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spra...5341455&sr=8-1
Is it safe for the black engine or matte black paint?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,830 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by rod18cdz
Is it safe for the black engine or matte black paint?
No problem , goes on like a light almost wax spray & wipes off clean . may give a slight shine to matte for a bit but that it from my experience . I haven't really hosed flat or matte finish's aside from painted alum. . Stuff is the bomb for chrome & gloss paint . Makes spoke wheels a non cusser when doing them .

Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Noodles
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The gold anodized plugs do hold up better for me.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S100 corrosion protector.

We have a beach house right on the gulf and I ride the bike down several times a year.

Before I head down I spray any area subject to rust with the S100 corrosion protector.

It goes on matte looking but I take a micro fiber towel and polish it to a shine. Shining it up does not reduce protection according to S100.

I make sure to spray the cooling fins and it does not have any effect on the black engine finish.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
you're washing too much, and not riding enough. That's caused by water standing in the spark plug hole.
Don't think so, 3000miles in 2 months, not bad!

Quick Reply: Florida Beachside Rust